none
Inbox Rules priority. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

The problem:

Inbox rules order gets messed up while I update it programatically using EWS API.

From MSDN:

Remarks

Rule classes that have a higher priority value are run before lower priority Rule classes. The default Priority value for any Rule is 0. When a Rule is created with the same Priority as an existing Rule, the existing Rule is incremented. A rule Priority must be a positive value.

First of all this is not correct.

Rules with LOWER priority gets executed first.

Second: There is one rule existing:

1. "Rule A"

where index in Rule priority. I want to create new Rule and make it executed first. Assumption from description I should create new "Rule B" set its priority to 1 and it will push "Rule A" down in execution order.

This DOES NOT working.

"Rule A" remains first and "Rule B" becomes second in execution order.

Keep going adding more rules with priority set to 1. It will push "Rule X" at position 2 down.

After 7th (seventh (A B C D E F G)) rule created it pushes "Rule A" from top of execution list and becomes first. Like below

1. G
    2. A
    3. F
    4. E
    5. B
    6. C
    7. D

Question: WHY THE HELL?

But keep going adding more rules. 8th Rule becomes first=> 9th rule becomes first. Ok lets push down only last one "Rule D"

to do so according to MSDN we should push new "Rule new9 before D" with ist priority set to 9. And it should push "Rule D" down.  oops... no the hell! newly Created rule "Rule new9 before D" becomes last one and "Rule D" remains on its position.

I spent whole day trying to guess why this is happening.

And now I am gonna ask "Whats wrong with Exchange EWS API?"

Thanks.

Monday, September 28, 2015 8:49 AM

All replies

• Update.

Adding 11th rule with priority set to 9 and absolutely awesome this rule becomes 3rd one!

So just one really big request... I beg you, fix it!!!

Monday, September 28, 2015 9:03 AM
  • Hi Strashko Sergey,

What happens when you test it on a fresh mailbox without any rules set. Or if you overrite\reset the rules first and then add the new rules via EWS.

Regards,

Satyajit

Please “Vote As Helpful” if you find my contribution useful or “Mark As Answer” if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Monday, September 28, 2015 12:44 PM