none
[MS-CIFS] SMB_COM_SET_INFORMATION2 question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

SMB_COM_SET_INFORMATION2 states (regarding the CreateDate + CreationTime, LastAccessDate + LastAccessTime, LastWriteDate + LastWriteTime):

"A date or time value of 0 indicates to the server that the values MUST NOT be changed"

This seems to me like a mistake, if this statement is correct, it means create / last access / last write can never be set to midnight (using this SMB command).

I'd appreciate if you could review this statement to see if this is indeed the case.

Thanks,

Tal Aloni

Friday, May 16, 2014 8:34 AM

Answers

• Tal,

I reviewed this issue.  For a given date/time pair (i.e., CreateDate and CreationTime) if BOTH are zero, we will not change the date/time for that piece of information.  Thus, you can set Time to zero to indicate midnight as long as a date is provided.

I will file an issue against [MS-CIFS] to correct this.  Thank you for reporting this issue.

Bryan S. Burgin Senior Escalation Engineer Microsoft Protocol Open Specifications Team

• Marked as answer by Tal Aloni Wednesday, May 28, 2014 5:28 AM
    Tuesday, May 27, 2014 10:09 PM

All replies

• Hi Tal,

Thank you for your question. A member of the Protocol Documentation support team will respond to you soon.

Regards,
    Vilmos Foltenyi - MSFT

Friday, May 16, 2014 4:05 PM
  • Hi, Tal,

I can work on this for you.  If you have any traces, please send them to me.

Bryan S. Burgin Senior Escalation Engineer Microsoft Protocol Open Specifications Team

Friday, May 16, 2014 4:13 PM
  • Hi Bryan,

I don't have any traces, it's simply seems like a mistake that create / last access / last write can never be set to midnight.

Looking forward to hear back from you regarding the issues I've raised.

Thanks again,

Tal

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 2:21 PM
  • Tal,

I reviewed this issue.  For a given date/time pair (i.e., CreateDate and CreationTime) if BOTH are zero, we will not change the date/time for that piece of information.  Thus, you can set Time to zero to indicate midnight as long as a date is provided.

I will file an issue against [MS-CIFS] to correct this.  Thank you for reporting this issue.

• Marked as answer by Tal Aloni Wednesday, May 28, 2014 5:28 AM
    Tuesday, May 27, 2014 10:09 PM