none
Application Updater - Keep getting 401 Unauthorized error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Im testing out the .Net application updater component as decribed here http://windowsclient.net/articles/appupdater.aspx

Im getting an issue that when the client tries to access the update.xml file I am getting a 401 Unathorized access error.

I can see the update.xml file when I go to the url through the web browser. Any ideas what Im doing wrong?

Kind Regards

Ash

• Moved by Leo Liu - MSFT Friday, March 4, 2011 5:19 AM Off-topic (From:Visual C# General)
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 2:39 PM

All replies

• The 401 error is an access error, not an existing error.  Yes, the file is there but the client / application that is trying to access it does it have the right permissions to open / write / read the file?  check the properities of the file and ensure that the user / system has the right access right and hopefully that should resolve the problem.  Hope this helps!
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 2:57 PM
  • Hi Seabass and thanks for the reply.

I had read this in researching my problem on the internet and have tried various setups with no luck.

Currently I have created an application pool for the site the updater is connecting to and set its identity to be localsystem.

I have edited the security permissions of the folder being accessed in inetpub/wwwroot and allowed pretty much every account there full access.

Any ideas?

Ta

Ash

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 3:06 PM
  • Hi AshPursglove,

The .Net application updater component related issues is not in the support scope of Microsoft.
    I tried to find some third-party communities about this component but so far no one is got.
    I will move your thread into the Off-Topic Forum shortly.
    Thanks for your understanding.
    Leo Liu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, March 4, 2011 5:19 AM