none
WES7 SP1 32bit runtime does not boot on HP t5740e RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to evaluate WES 7 Sp1-32 bit on my HP t5740e.  When I loaded the disk into the USB DVD drive it loads and gets to the the screen "Starting Windows" but no Windows 7 logo appears and it freezes.  I also have an evaluation disk of WES 7 (no SP) and that boots fine every time.

Please help.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 2:50 PM

Answers

• You need to update the system rom/bios on the 5740 to support win 7 embedded sp1 to 1.04
    • Proposed as answer by Mark Coghlan Wednesday, June 29, 2011 5:00 AM
    • Marked as answer by VgerNYC Sunday, July 3, 2011 1:52 AM
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 5:00 AM

All replies

• Hi VgerNYC,

Is this the boot to IBW disk? Is this is a disk you created and if so how did you creat it? or is it a disk you obtained elsewhere?

I'm not aware of any such issues but any details you can give us may help us understand what might be happening.

Thanks

Dave Massy, Program Manager
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 5:35 PM
  • Yes this is the IBW disk.  The trial on Microsoft's website has the Toolkit, the 32bit IBW and a 64bit IBW for WES7 Sp1 eval.  I downloaded the parts and extracted the ISO from the parts and burned it to DVD disk.

I don't have much info except that I did boot the same DVD I tried to load on the t5740e on a Dell OptiPlex 760 and it worked.  Then I plugged in the USB DVD drive I used to load the disk on the HP t5740e on the Optiplex 760 and the USB drive loaded the DVD fine.

The HP t5740e has an Intel Atom N280 + GL40 chipset, no RAID or additional IDE/SATA chipset.  There's also an WES7 (no Sp1) Eval disk set with IBW's and that loaded pefectly fine.

I just now also attempted to boot a regular copy of Windows 7 with Sp1 DVD and it also freezes.  I don't see that anywhere else.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 5:52 PM
  • Sometimes, I have run into this with USB DVD drives. I have a couple of different USB DVD drivers, one that comes with a power adpater and one tht doesn't. The power adapter one appears to have a better sucess rate than the one drawing power off the USB.

If you have a big enough USB flash drive, you could copy the contents on the DVD to the USB flash disk and but off the USB flash disk to install the OS.

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - ProGuide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 3:06 AM
  • I tried the bootable USB option.  It still has the same issue where it gets stuck at "Starting Windows."  HP has an internal SATA port in the t5740e but it's not bootable.

Monday, March 21, 2011 3:09 PM
  • Did anyone ever figure this out?  I am having the same problem with my 5740....   booting from nice fast 4GB USB key that installs fine on every other laptop/workstation/server except this HP thinclient...

I looked for a BIOS/firmware update and flashed it just to make sure...   this sucks...  WinTPC also has this the same problem...  i can install Windows 7 32 or 64bit RTM just fine but even on an over the top upgrade when it reboots, it gets stuck at hte Starting Windows graphics... sits there for hours/days...   (i let it run all weekend to see)

someone needs to address this...  pronto...

• Proposed as answer by Mark Coghlan Wednesday, June 29, 2011 4:56 AM
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 2:06 AM
  • You need to update the system rom/bios on the 5740 to support win 7 embedded sp1 to 1.04
    • Proposed as answer by Mark Coghlan Wednesday, June 29, 2011 5:00 AM
    • Marked as answer by VgerNYC Sunday, July 3, 2011 1:52 AM
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 5:00 AM
  • Yeah I noticed this in a new article in Windowsfordevices.com .  Another hidden update in 1.04 is HP released the restictions on the mini PCIe slot for only WiFi cards.  Now a Broadcom Crystal HD BCM70015 card can be added for full 1080p playback.  Though I'm having trouble getting one to do just that.
    Sunday, July 3, 2011 2:00 AM