none
The future of Silverlight? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Is it will become a cross-platform .NET? or just focus on UI?

I have a algorithm library written in C#. Should I port the library to Silverlight?

Thanks!

Saturday, March 8, 2008 11:44 AM

Answers

• Silverlight will be cross platform and is already running on the Mac and flavors of Unix.  However in version 1 it is really just mostly video.  In Silverlight 2.0 it can do alot more.  Silverlight only has a subset of .Net and it will never really be a cross-platform replacement for .Net.  Instead it is more for UI.  You wont be writting servers in Silverlight.  But client applications, smaller games, etc are all possible with Silverlight.  Check out the new Silverlight email client that AOL is building.  You can really write rich clietn applications!

What is yoru algorithm library doing and what needs to be its reach?  You probably want to keep it where it is unless this is somethign you want running on the web on clients machines.  If this library just takes in input and returns results, you should look at making this an http web service.  You could wrap it up into silverlight then users can basically run it locally.  So I guess the answer is that it is probably possible, but it depends on what it is doing.  Its really up to you but you could port it over.

Saturday, March 8, 2008 4:45 PM

All replies

• Silverlight will be cross platform and is already running on the Mac and flavors of Unix.  However in version 1 it is really just mostly video.  In Silverlight 2.0 it can do alot more.  Silverlight only has a subset of .Net and it will never really be a cross-platform replacement for .Net.  Instead it is more for UI.  You wont be writting servers in Silverlight.  But client applications, smaller games, etc are all possible with Silverlight.  Check out the new Silverlight email client that AOL is building.  You can really write rich clietn applications!

What is yoru algorithm library doing and what needs to be its reach?  You probably want to keep it where it is unless this is somethign you want running on the web on clients machines.  If this library just takes in input and returns results, you should look at making this an http web service.  You could wrap it up into silverlight then users can basically run it locally.  So I guess the answer is that it is probably possible, but it depends on what it is doing.  Its really up to you but you could port it over.

Saturday, March 8, 2008 4:45 PM
  • The problem is that we are now facing two .NET Framework: one is .NET Framework 3.5, another is Silverlight 2.0. Some code can be used either in server side or in client side, so I have to keep two code base....

I heard that Silverlight can also be used in client application. So we now have two set of client technology: WPF and Silverlight.

I am wondering if MS can make the whole .NET Framework cross-platform, so there is only one code should be maintained.

Sunday, March 9, 2008 11:50 AM
  • Hey Lei,

Thats where most of the patterns that have evolved in present; have actually been a success.

Say a pattern like MVVM if implemented in Silverlight is very useful. The Model, ViewModel is something which is fixed as it's interacting with data, objects , pulling information.

The only change going away from Silverlight would be to the View, which is your design which will be different for different platforms.

MVVM supports Microsoft Surface, Silverlight , WPF, Windows Mobile 7. So, if your Model,ViewModel is written once , you can reuse that, but yes you would have to rewrite/tweak your view. So hence the major piece of code remains same.

Sumit Sethi
    • Proposed as answer by Ghouse Barq Thursday, April 21, 2011 5:23 AM
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 4:57 PM