Installing Windows Developer Preview on another partition

Question

• Installing Windows Developer Preview on another partition

Is that means that if i'm using USB drive to install Windows 8, it will install Windows 8 on my USB drive? 

It will not affect any of my hard disks?

When i want to boot Windows 8 (after install), i need to use USB drive?

Saturday, December 10, 2011 1:27 PM

Answers

• Just to clarify, you are using the USB drive to store the installation media. 
    When you boot to Windows Developer Preview,  you do not need to use the USB drive as the operating system is installed on your hard drive.

Hope this helps you to understand.  
    Marilyn
    • Marked as answer by Eacan98 Monday, December 12, 2011 1:33 AM
    Sunday, December 11, 2011 7:08 PM

All replies

• 'The Windows 8 Developer Preview is delivered as an .iso image that must be converted into installation media stored on a DVD or a USB flash drive. On Windows 7, the easiest way to convert this file is to use Windows Disc Image Burner. On Windows XP and Windows Vista, a third-party program is required to convert an .iso file into installable media—and DVD burning software often includes this capability.

Note: The .iso file that contains the developer tools requires a large capacity DVD called a DVD-9, as well as a DVD burner that can handle dual-layer (DL) DVDs. Most modern burners should be able to handle this format.'

'A clean install is supported on all builds, but you can upgrade if you are installing a download without the developer tools. You will receive the full set of migration options when setup is launched in Windows. To dual-boot, you must first boot from media and choose an alternative partition.'

For more details, please follow the link:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516.aspx

Irfan
    Sunday, December 11, 2011 1:13 AM
  • Just to clarify, you are using the USB drive to store the installation media. 
    When you boot to Windows Developer Preview,  you do not need to use the USB drive as the operating system is installed on your hard drive.

Hope this helps you to understand.  
    Marilyn
    • Marked as answer by Eacan98 Monday, December 12, 2011 1:33 AM
    Sunday, December 11, 2011 7:08 PM
  • If i want to remove windows 8 from my hard drive, the only way is format the partition?

Can i install Windows 8 into a flash drive instead of hard disk?

Or maybe an external hard disk?
    • Edited by Eacan98 Monday, December 12, 2011 1:42 AM
    Monday, December 12, 2011 1:38 AM
  • Hello Eacan98, 

You can't uninstall the Windows 8 Developer Preview. To go back to your previous operating system, you must reinstall it from restore or installation media. You cannot install Windows Developer Preview onto a flash drive as a operating system. You use the flash drive to install the Windows Developer Preview onto your hard drive for the installation media.

The Windows 8 Developer Preview is delivered as an .iso image that must be converted into installation media stored on a DVD or a USB flash drive. On Windows 7, the easiest way to convert this file is to use Windows Disc Image Burner

Let us know if you still have questions.

Marilyn
    Monday, December 12, 2011 1:44 AM
  • Yes Eacan98,

Either a format or deleting the partition will erase the contents of the partition, but none will be allowed by your system in normal circumstances. What I usually do in a situation like this is to start a Windows (7 or WDP) installation, select custom, advanced options, choose to delete/format the partition and then quit the Windows installation process. This formats or deletes the selected drive.

Irfan
    Monday, December 12, 2011 1:52 AM
  • Thanks a lot.
    Monday, December 12, 2011 1:42 PM