Rare Service Crash RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having an application issue that is causing me headaches. The application runs as a Windows service, and exposes a service via WCF (consumed by clients via TCP and named-pipe). The application also has a timer that runs that looks for work to do. All of my WCF operations and timer operations are wrapped in try/catch statements to avoid crashing. Yet still after weeks of working fine the service will suddenly die. Sometimes it is when there doesn’t appear to be much work for it to be doing at all. This is what I see in the Event Viewer. I’ve tried using the IL Disassembler, but since the error is happening in the mscorlib, I’m having trouble tracing where inside my service this is occurring. And since it is so rare, it is almost impossible to debug. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

EventType clr20r3, P1 myservice.exe, P2 1.0.0.0, P3 5526c3a2, P4 mscorlib, P5 2.0.0.0, P6 53ce222a, P7 41d0, P8 a3, P9 system.nullreferenceexception, P10 NIL.

NOTE: the application is built in VS.NET 2008 (C#)

Thursday, April 30, 2015 3:58 PM

Answers

• Hi acfalcon2001,

Since this forum is to discuss the VS IDE, for the VS crahed issue, there are different possible reasons, so I just provide my suggestions to narrow down this issue.

(1)To make sure that whether it is the project issue, please run it in other VS machine.

(a) If it works well, we could make sure that it is not the specific project issue.

(b)If it still has this issue, how about creating a simple WCF Windows service app in your side? If a simple sample works well, I'm afraid that we would think about the project itself.

(2) Some possible reasons which would geneate the VS cashed issue.

(a) The windows Environment: We'd better close all third party tools/processes. Please make sure that the task manager is free.

(b) VS add-ins: Please disable/remove all add-ins.

(c) The project files are corrupted: We often delete .suo file in project folder, and then re-open the .xxproj file, test it again. Or you could create a new blank solution, add project files to the new solution, clean and rebuild your project, check it again.

(e)You'd better debug your project code with breakpoints, and then debug it with "Step Into", maybe it is related to the specific code line.

(3)If we make sure that it is related to the specific project code, I feel that the WCF forum would be better for you:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=wcf

(4) If still no help, and no any useful message in your side, I suggest you collect the dump file, and debug it.http://blogs.msdn.com/b/kirillosenkov/archive/2008/12/07/how-to-debug-crashes-and-hangs.aspx

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, May 1, 2015 6:31 AM