Extend or consume LS externally RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Is it possible to add LS functionality to an existing WPF application or to possibly extend the LS ui to include my own custom menu items and non LS related forms. I.E. a complete LOB, not just data CRUD forms...?

Thanks
    Q

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:59 AM

Answers

1. It's not possible to add LS functionality to an existing WPF application
      • a LightSwitch project is a totally unique "project type", with its own set of sub-projects

• the client is Silverlight, not WPF

2. It's definitely possible to extend the LS UI, but you'd have to create a custom shell extension to create custom menu items
    3. You can create custom Silverlight controls, that you can then add to an LS screen, that does anything that you can do in Silverlight

Does that answer your questions?

Yann

(plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose!)

If you found this post helpful, please "Vote as Helpful". If it actually answered your question, remember to "Mark as Answer".

This will help people find the answers that they're looking for more quickly.

• Marked as answer by QuintonV Wednesday, September 21, 2011 11:43 AM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 11:35 AM

All replies

1. It's not possible to add LS functionality to an existing WPF application
      • a LightSwitch project is a totally unique "project type", with its own set of sub-projects

• the client is Silverlight, not WPF

2. It's definitely possible to extend the LS UI, but you'd have to create a custom shell extension to create custom menu items
    3. You can create custom Silverlight controls, that you can then add to an LS screen, that does anything that you can do in Silverlight

Does that answer your questions?

Yann

If you found this post helpful, please "Vote as Helpful". If it actually answered your question, remember to "Mark as Answer".

• Marked as answer by QuintonV Wednesday, September 21, 2011 11:43 AM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 11:35 AM
  • I hoped it might be possible as I saw that one can publish a LS aplication to DotNetNuke as a module, so expected a bit more freedom in the windows application build type.

I didn't think that the windows application type for the LS would also be SilverLight based, assumed it would be WPF.

Thanks for the help
    Q
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 11:43 AM
  • You're welcome!

Yann

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 11:47 AM