"InstallationManager.AddPackageAsync(String, Uri)" over 2G network does not download and install app on Widows Phone 8 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to install an app using the following API : InstallationManager.AddPackageAsync(String, Uri).

It works perfectly fine when I'm either on Wi-Fi or over 3G network. However, on 2G network, nothing happens, and the app does not get downloaded. There is no intimation on device as well, whether the app has been downloaded or not. 

When I checked out the API, it did not have any limitation mentioned (apart from the fact that it is a WP8 API). 

Is there any limitation for app download-install over 2G network for Windows Phone 8? Or is there a specific speed (say 50 kbps or more) that is required for device to be able to download the app from my server?

Any help and help would be useful :)

Regards,

Shyam

Monday, October 7, 2013 6:31 AM

Answers

• If you provide a remote Uri then the XAP file is downloaded using the Background Transfer Service.  According to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsphone/develop/hh202955(v=vs.105).aspx, BTS will not download over 2G, EDGE, or Standard GPRS if the app which requested the transfer is not in the foreground.

However, I believe that the round-about way in which this download request get's to BTS causes the request to be associated with the company settings app rather than your company hub application.

-Eric.

• Marked as answer by Shyam Gopi Tuesday, October 8, 2013 5:09 AM
    Monday, October 7, 2013 7:40 PM