locked
Change database connection in Sharepoint designer RRS feed

  • Question

  • I created a database connection in Sharepoint designer to use in a dataview.  The original connection was to SQL server in a dev region.  I'm ready to move to prod, but when I changed the database configuration to point to prod and refreshed, the dataview still showed dev data.  When I looked at the html, it still shows the old dev connection even though the actual database connection in the data source library is now mapped to prod.  Apparently, changes to the data source are not updated to the dataview?  Should I have to change it in the html as well???
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 5:24 PM

Answers

  • You may be making the change in the wrong place.  Sharepoint designer is confusing that way. 
    Instead of going to the Data Source Library under databases and changing it there, try this:

    Click to select inside the data view web part.  Make sure you're looking at the data source details pane.
    At the top of the data source details pane, click the link that's probably called the same name as the data connection or database.
    This link will bring up database properties for you to modify.


    Laura Rogers, MCSE, MCTS
    SharePoint911: SharePoint Consulting
    Blog: http://www.sharepoint911.com/blogs/laura
    Twitter: WonderLaura
    • Marked as answer by bukkybu Thursday, January 21, 2010 6:13 PM
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 5:52 PM

All replies

  • You may be making the change in the wrong place.  Sharepoint designer is confusing that way. 
    Instead of going to the Data Source Library under databases and changing it there, try this:

    Click to select inside the data view web part.  Make sure you're looking at the data source details pane.
    At the top of the data source details pane, click the link that's probably called the same name as the data connection or database.
    This link will bring up database properties for you to modify.


    Laura Rogers, MCSE, MCTS
    SharePoint911: SharePoint Consulting
    Blog: http://www.sharepoint911.com/blogs/laura
    Twitter: WonderLaura
    • Marked as answer by bukkybu Thursday, January 21, 2010 6:13 PM
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 5:52 PM
  • You're right...it is a bit confusing.  I was not going inside the web part to make the changes.  The result appears to be the same as changing it in the html, but I did assume that changing the database connection would do it all.  Thanks so much for the clarification.
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 6:13 PM