none
Diagnostic Tools: Events window empty / blank RRS feed

• Question

• When I run my code in debug mode and have my diagnostic tools window open, my event panes are blank (both the timeline and the events call stack window).  How can I fix this?

I am using Visual Studio 2015 Enterprise, Update 3.  Interestingly the events window works on another Visual Studio 2015 Enterprise installation, only its update 2.   I this a known bug?

Monday, October 24, 2016 6:49 AM

All replies

• When I run my code in debug mode and have my diagnostic tools window open, my event panes are blank (both the timeline and the events call stack window).  How can I fix this?

I am using Visual Studio 2015 Enterprise, Update 3.  Interestingly the events window works on another Visual Studio 2015 Enterprise installation, only its update 2.  That got anything to do with it?

Thursday, October 20, 2016 9:11 AM
  • Hi Zakariel76,

Do you mean that the same app has different diagnostic result in two VS machines?

Please reset your VS settings, check it again.

I just create a simple WPF app with a button click event, it works well in my side.

TOOLS->Import and Export Settings Wizard->Reset all settings->select “No, just reset settings, overwriting my current settings”->Choose a Default Collection of settings. Check it again.

Click Help->About Microsoft Visual Studio, check the version information.

It also has some default limitations here:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/visualstudioalm/2015/01/16/diagnostic-tools-debugger-window-in-visual-studio-2015/

Best Regards,

Jack

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 24, 2016 11:49 AM
  • Hi Zakariel76,

According to your description, I checked both of my Visual Studio 2015 Update 2 and Update 3, I get the same result.

My Visual Studio 2015 Update 3 version is 14.0.25425.01. Then I check another version of Visual Studio 2015 Update 3, which is 14.0.25431.01. In this version of Visual Studio 2015 Update 3, the event timeline is appear when debugging.

Please check your Update 3 version to make sure it is the latest version. You could install the latest KB path through Tools -> Extensions and Updates -> Updates -> Product Updates. You will see Visual Studio 2015 Update 3 KB3165756 path in the update list.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 6:58 AM
  • @ Jack

I did a reset on all my settings as per your instructions.  I tried resetting them to the default "General" settings.  That didn't work.  I tried setting it to the "Visual C#" default settings.  That didn't work either. 

Now my diagnostic tool window panes are COMPLETELY blank, (not just the event windows).  

@ Weiwei.  

I did the update check you recommended.  I am fully up to date on Update 3.  Below is my version information:

Microsoft Visual Studio Enterprise 2015
    Version 14.0.25431.01 Update 3
    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 4.6.01586

Installed Version: Enterprise

Architecture and Modeling Tools   00322-90055-91701-AA029
    Microsoft Architecture and Modeling Tools

UML® and Unified Modeling Language™ are trademarks or registered trademarks of the Object Management Group, Inc. in the United States and other countries.

Visual Basic 2015   00322-90055-91701-AA029
    Microsoft Visual Basic 2015

Visual C# 2015   00322-90055-91701-AA029
    Microsoft Visual C# 2015

Visual C++ 2015   00322-90055-91701-AA029
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2015

AnkhSVN - Subversion Support for Visual Studio   2.6.12735.14
    AnkhSVN - Subversion Support for Visual Studio 2.6.12735.14 
     * Ankh.Package 2.6.12735.14
     * Subversion 1.9.2 via SharpSvn 1.9002.3777.76

SharpSvn is linked to: Apr 1.5.1, Apr-util 1.5.4, Cyrus Sasl 2.1.26, eXpat 2.1.0, LibSSH2 1.6.0, OpenSSL 1.0.2d 9 Jul 2015, Serf 1.3.8, SQLite 3.8.11.1, Subversion 1.9.2-SharpSvn, Utf8proc 1.1.5, ZLib 1.2.8
    SharpSvn is optionally linked to: Berkeley DB 4.4.20, SharpPlink 0.65.0(SharpSvn)

Application Insights Tools for Visual Studio Package   7.10.01020.1
    Application Insights Tools for Visual Studio

ASP.NET and Web Tools 2015.1 (Beta8)   14.1.11107.0
    ASP.NET and Web Tools 2015.1 (Beta8)

ASP.NET Web Frameworks and Tools 2012.2   4.1.41102.0
    For additional information, visit http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=309563

ASP.NET Web Frameworks and Tools 2013   5.2.40314.0
    For additional information, visit http://www.asp.net/

Common Azure Tools   1.8
    Provides common services for use by Azure Mobile Services and Microsoft Azure Tools.

JavaScript Language Service   2.0
    JavaScript Language Service

JavaScript Project System   2.0
    JavaScript Project System

Microsoft Azure Mobile Services Tools   1.4
    Microsoft Azure Mobile Services Tools

NuGet Package Manager   3.4.4
    NuGet Package Manager in Visual Studio. For more information about NuGet, visit http://docs.nuget.org/.

PreEmptive Analytics Visualizer   1.2
    Microsoft Visual Studio extension to visualize aggregated summaries from the PreEmptive Analytics product.

SQL Server Data Tools   14.0.60519.0
    Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools

TypeScript   1.8.36.0
    TypeScript tools for Visual Studio
    • Edited by Zakariel76 Monday, October 31, 2016 11:55 AM
    Monday, October 31, 2016 11:53 AM
  • Hi Zakariel76,

I use the same VS version, but it really works well for a simple WPF app, do you use the same WPF app?

Of course, if possible, you could share me a simple sample using one drive, I will debug it in my side.

In old VS version, I know that it has a known issue which is related to the VS language and the Windows language, just to make this issue, do you use the English Windows and VS version?

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/visualstudioalm/2015/05/06/known-issue-for-diagnostics-tool-window-in-visual-studio-2015-rc-the-diagnostic-tools-failed-unexpectedly/

I know that it is not the same issue, but I just want to make sure that it is not the language issue.

If still no help, and we make sure that a simple WPF app still has this issue:

(1) Please check the output window, maybe you could get more error messages.

(2) You'd better to repair your VS, check it again. Since it works well in our side, maybe we would think about the VS setup.

Best Regards,

Jack

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 7:04 AM
  • A Co-Worker and I were experiencing this same issue.

It ended up being that the IntelliTrace had been disabled on the machine that didn't show any Event information.

Tools -> Options -> IntelliTrace -> General

• Proposed as answer by DakotaIrsik Tuesday, January 10, 2017 5:09 PM
    Tuesday, January 10, 2017 5:09 PM
  • I am facing exact same issue. Console application that uses Event Source and VS 15 Update 3 latest does not show any events coming in "Diagnostics Events" window. 

It works with other tools like PerfView etc. Anyone had it fixed ?

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 5:53 PM
  • @Frank89789797,

Since this case was opening for a long time, would you please create a new case in this forum? So we could discuss it in a new case easily.

Sincerely,

Jack

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 1:08 AM