none
generate exe which has all dll RRS feed

• Question

• I have solution which has multiple project. When i build solution, it generate exe in respective debug/release folder and necessary dlls. I want to generate single exe which has dll embedded so that whenever i want to move exe, i only need to copy one exe and config file and not all dll.
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 7:22 AM

Answers

• Yes you can create a single exe file by using ilmerge.exe

just put your exe and all dll in a folder and do this.

d:\test>ILMerge.exe /wildcards /t:winexe /out:resulting.exe needsDLLs.exe *.dll

Run the "command prompt" in administrator mode. "Test" is the directory where i have placed all my dll and exe and ilmerge.

here my needsDlls.exe is my mainexe.exe which did not run without Interop.nameax.dll and Interop.Axname.dll present in the same directory, and, as you may know, the "/wildcard" option allows the use of the '*.dll' to match all dll files in that directory.  I tried running resulting.exe after deleting the dlls from the folder and it worked fine.

Just in case, if you are trying to pack an unmanaged (i.e. activeX or conventional c-type) dll into merged.exe, that probably won't work.

If so, try merging only managed-code dlls into one.exe and leave the unmanaged dll in c:\windows\system32 or its equivalent where they belong.

• Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Tuesday, April 6, 2010 3:49 AM
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 1:22 PM
  • Hi D17may,

Thank you for your post.

I want to generate single exe which has dll embedded so that whenever i want to move exe, i only need to copy one exe and config file and not all dll.

The scenario that you described looks like that you want to distribute your application. This means that you should create installers to pack your application and any dependent files.

In Visual Studio IDE, we can apply Setup and Deployment Projects to do the work.
    Please check: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/wx3b589t%28VS.80%29.aspx

One common way that we apply is Setup project. After we build one setup project, the resulting Windows Installer (.msi) file contains the application, any dependent files, information about the application such as registry entries, and instructions for installation. When the .msi file is distributed and run on another computer, you can be assured that everything necessary for installation is included; if for any reason the installation fails (for example, the target computer does not have the required operating system version), the installation will be rolled back and the computer returned to its pre-installation state.
    For more information on how to create setup project, please check: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/19x10e5c%28VS.71%29.aspx

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Tuesday, April 6, 2010 3:48 AM
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 9:18 AM
  • Hi,

If I understood your problem correctly, why dont you try to provide the Build Path in your CS project properties settings and specify the destination directory where the DLL should be copied or placed.

Otherwise, you need to write a custom EXE to move all your DLLs in respective paths.

BR, PM
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 9:51 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If I understood your problem correctly, why dont you try to provide the Build Path in your CS project properties settings and specify the destination directory where the DLL should be copied or placed.

Otherwise, you need to write a custom EXE to move all your DLLs in respective paths.

BR, PM
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 9:51 AM
  • Hi D17may,

Thank you for your post.

I want to generate single exe which has dll embedded so that whenever i want to move exe, i only need to copy one exe and config file and not all dll.

The scenario that you described looks like that you want to distribute your application. This means that you should create installers to pack your application and any dependent files.

In Visual Studio IDE, we can apply Setup and Deployment Projects to do the work.
    Please check: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/wx3b589t%28VS.80%29.aspx

One common way that we apply is Setup project. After we build one setup project, the resulting Windows Installer (.msi) file contains the application, any dependent files, information about the application such as registry entries, and instructions for installation. When the .msi file is distributed and run on another computer, you can be assured that everything necessary for installation is included; if for any reason the installation fails (for example, the target computer does not have the required operating system version), the installation will be rolled back and the computer returned to its pre-installation state.
    For more information on how to create setup project, please check: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/19x10e5c%28VS.71%29.aspx

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 9:18 AM
  • Yes you can create a single exe file by using ilmerge.exe

just put your exe and all dll in a folder and do this.

d:\test>ILMerge.exe /wildcards /t:winexe /out:resulting.exe needsDLLs.exe *.dll

Run the "command prompt" in administrator mode. "Test" is the directory where i have placed all my dll and exe and ilmerge.

here my needsDlls.exe is my mainexe.exe which did not run without Interop.nameax.dll and Interop.Axname.dll present in the same directory, and, as you may know, the "/wildcard" option allows the use of the '*.dll' to match all dll files in that directory.  I tried running resulting.exe after deleting the dlls from the folder and it worked fine.

Just in case, if you are trying to pack an unmanaged (i.e. activeX or conventional c-type) dll into merged.exe, that probably won't work.

If so, try merging only managed-code dlls into one.exe and leave the unmanaged dll in c:\windows\system32 or its equivalent where they belong.

• Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Tuesday, April 6, 2010 3:49 AM
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 1:22 PM
  • sir i just want to clear something...

if i use interop.*.dll... and merge it to an output.exe... it might not work right?

because im trying to use ilmerge and tried merging the two files and when you run it it will say "could not load file or assembly 'Interop.Shell32.dll or one of its dependencies.The system cannot find the file specified. "

i hope you could help and give me some advice...

by the way. im a newbie programmer. so please have patience. ;)

Monday, April 26, 2010 5:29 AM
  • hi pjay

is your interop name is Interop.Shell32.dll or is something else.

what ever your answer is you will need to perform these steps before using ilmerge.exe

first of all you need to sign your assembly from your project properties -> Signing.

The second thing you need to do is to go to properties -> reference select your ( interop.*.dll ) and from the property window at the lower right corner set  copy  local = false.

now clean and then rebuild your project.

you will sea that your interop.*.dll is not copied to the bin folder. now in your project folder go to the folder name " (\obj\Release  or  \obj\Debug) folder  " copy your intrope file from here and put in the test folder as described in my first post to use ilmerge.

Monday, April 26, 2010 7:11 AM