Photoshop Import RRS feed

• Question

• Didn't understand something about importing PSD files - don't know much about Adobe.

Did a test import of a template page.... with graphics and tons of stuff.....  layers have come in, but the most important thing I wanted was the "fx" effects.
    For example, a button that looks like it has blur, gradient coloring, etc.... does not show anything under Effects.

Is this normal as the limitation of import; or am I missing something. 
    Travis McGee
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 3:31 AM

All replies

• It can be done but not in Expression Suite methinks.

For example, Pixelmator (on Mac) handles PSD files very well indeed.
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 11:58 AM
  • ps: I mention the above not to rubbish the product (Expression Suite) but to draw attention to the fact that it can be done, is being done but not within MS product portfolio).

To mix the threads, WMF, ICO, ... ?
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 10:02 PM
  • ooooh, BBB is good old deebs from UK
    I thought you were an Expression basher, from Adobe's headquarters.
    Sorry.

So, you must know what you are talking about.
    There is this company who is willing to semi-customize a template in Bangalore.  They are very good with their picture library, commercial/professional looking design and nimble touces of flash.  The problem is that they are giving the source files back in Adobe suite (Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Photoshop and Flash). 

With the exception of Flash, I thought we could import them into Expression 3 and then do future modification without doing anything with Adobe camp - in Windows world (not Mac!)

Are you telling me that it is a bad (or dumb) idea and it will not work?

ps. love your work - it is absolutely positively awsome!  I wish I could download 2% of your talent into my brain.
    Travis McGee
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 1:37 AM
  • Nope, not MS bashing.  

Their research is certainly world class if not interplanetary/stellar/cosmic.  However, over the years (as BBB and deebs) so often workflow issues arrive in form of posts on the forum and there are remedies but these remedies tend to disfavour MS products.

Once that happens it seems to undermine the importance or potential of Expression Studio in commercial environments.

In Windows environment starting with a hopeful reliance on MS products  seems to run into some difficulties.  The Studio does not seem to cater quite as fully as what, say, MS Office does if that is a good comparison or Creative Suite combinations from Adobe.
    • Edited by BBB Wednesday, March 3, 2010 10:32 AM oversight
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 10:31 AM
  • Hi Travis. Nice to see you here on our forums. Hope all is well with you.

The fx  effects, called Live Effects in Design, is unique to Design. Effects in other products don't translate to Live Effects in Design.

I'm a litte confused. You mentioned importing .psd files, which would be Photoshop files, right? Photoshop files import as bitmap images so I'm not sure how you're losing the effects. Am I missing something here?
    Annie
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 7:42 PM