none
any way to simplify the installation process of outlook 2007/2010 addin using vs.net2008-vsto RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I developed outlook addin for 2007/2010 using vs.net2008 and vsto, the target application framework is 3.5 and we can't go below as we are using form regions and other new features. Our target client will be windows 2007/above/below, xp, vista having 32/64bits. I also prepared the installer for it using windows installer technology not the clickonce as we had some prerequisites actions as well as the target client may not have 3.5 framework and vstor33.exe. So  we have setup, msi and office PIA assemblies included in the package while 3.5framework and vsto runtime downloaded/install from the net if not present at the client machine.

So when the setup runs , it ask the client to accept EULA for framework 3.5 (not sure 100% for it) and vstoruntime and install first these , requires restart of computer, then ask EULA for our addin as we put and install the actual addin.

This process may confuse the target customers and make complications in the installation process. My client is not happy with it at all.

Anybody can suggest the simplified process. I've checked the windows7 versions , framework 3.5 comes but not enabled at the system, until some software install/enable it or manually customer enable it, so we can't remove framework 3.5 from the prerequisite.

many EULAs and long installation/restart are bothering the client.

can we have single EULA for all prerequisite?

Any comments/any ideas greatly be appreciated,

Thanks

--Mehnaz

Mehnaz Anwar
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 8:32 AM

Answers

• Hi Mehnaz,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

According to you description, you want to know whether it is possible to display one EULA in your installer process. Is it right?

If it is right, I think we are hard to approach your goal due to every assembly in your prerequisites are independent installers. They will run the process of themselves. And all of these aren’t able to affect by user.

If I have misunderstood anything, please feel free to let me know.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Mehnaz13 Monday, October 3, 2011 1:25 PM
    Monday, October 3, 2011 2:17 AM