My thoughts ...

General discussion

• I love Windows 8 so far. I enjoy all the new things you guys have put into it. You all asked for feedback, so I am giving my two cents.

At first the touch-first OS kind of misguided me and I didn't like how everything was more touch-capable than mouse and keyboard. After working on it and playing around with it, I find that it is actually not bad at all. I just have to learn all the ways to do the touch-capabilities with my mouse.

Which brings me to my first recommendation. Something that might help would be a tutorial or a help document showing how to do certain touch-capabilities with the mouse. Like I am using the Metro IE right now and for the longest time I could not figure out how to show the address bar at the bottom and the tabs at the top. I finally figured out I had to use a three finger tap on my mouse pad for them to show up. I have no idea how to do that when my mouse if plugged in. Might be something to think about.

The desktop is awesome still. When you hover of the start button ... yeah that is pretty tight also. But when I install programs and there is no shortcut ... I didn't know where to go to start the application for the first time. Like when I installed my copy of VS, I had to navigate to the physical directory to pin the app and start it. Then I found that you guys put the programs on the start page. And every single program is there ... even those I will never use. So honestly, I miss the start panel. Maybe there is a way to put both on there? Or an option to enable one or the other. I like the Metro Start Page but I also miss the start panel. I cannot just press "Win" and type in the program I need, which is what I loved when I transferred from Windows XP to Win7 a year ago.

So that is my feedback. I would like to see some kind of multiple desktops also ... that would be nice. I mean Mac has had that for a while now (Spaces) and Linux has it also. Why is Windows still behind in that capability? We still have to use Third-Party Software. One of my friends is building a Virtual Desktop program that might prove useful. There are also many other programs out that to research and create multiple desktops. (Dextop is the one I use most.)

-- Tyler Candee candeeproinc.net
    Friday, September 23, 2011 10:38 PM

All replies

• Which brings me to my first recommendation. Something that might help would be a tutorial or a help document showing how to do certain touch-capabilities with the mouse.
    Good idea.

I also think there should be more mouse-implemented features. One thing that seems wrong to me is that Metro features are implemented by mouse-down, rather than mouse-click. This precludes implementing some features using long mouse-down.
    Like I am using the Metro IE right now and for the longest time I could not figure out how to show the address bar at the bottom and the tabs at the top. I finally figured out I had to use a three finger tap on my mouse pad for them to show up. I have no idea how to do that when my mouse if plugged in.
    Right-click (actually right mouse down).
    So honestly, I miss the start panel. Maybe there is a way to put both on there? Or an option to enable one or the other.
    I think many of us believe that there must at least be an option to put back the old Start menu (on x86 devices), with some simple but not too intrusive way to get to the Metro Start Screen. But for now, maybe forcing us to use the Metro Start Screen is a good idea.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 1:48 AM
  • I cannot just press "Win" and type in the program I need, which is what I loved when I transferred from Windows XP to Win7 a year ago.

actually it still works that way.  Press "win" and start typing and the search will come up.  If you are already on the start page you don't even have to press "win" just start typing.

Saturday, September 24, 2011 9:57 AM
  • Which brings me to my first recommendation. Something that might help would be a tutorial or a help document showing how to do certain touch-capabilities with the mouse.
    I found some mouse/keyboard tips here:

http://www.winrumors.com/windows-8-tips-and-tricks-for-mousekeyboard-users/

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 10:08 AM

• actually it still works that way.  Press "win" and start typing and the search will come up.  If you are already on the start page you don't even have to press "win" just start typing.

I just tried that ... lol I thought that since there was no start panel that there was no more search ... thank you for that.

I found some mouse/keyboard tips here:

http://www.winrumors.com/windows-8-tips-and-tricks-for-mousekeyboard-users/

That was really useful. Thank you. Now Microsoft needs to add something like this when a user first creates his account or something. Maybe just something like what Dropbox does when you first install the folder.

Now I am trying out the Visual Studio 2011 Developer Preview. Still installing it lol.

-- Tyler Candee candeeproinc.net
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 1:12 PM