Can't load project because root element is missing? RRS feed

• Question

• User-1833980242 posted

My machine shut down because of some "unexpected error".  I rebooted it in normal mode.  I got an error when I tried to reload my project from the start page. 

It said:  "Unable to read the project file"myProject.csproj".  The project file could not be loaded.  The root element is missing."

Does anyone know what would have caused this or what this means?  I looked in the directory that it resides in and the .sln file is there.

Tuesday, November 10, 2009 8:20 PM

Answers

• User187056398 posted

The file may contain all spaces which would explain the size.

Or the BOM could be messed up.

When it's open in notepad, try 'save as'...and  use utf-8 as the encoding (not likely to work but you never know).

Otherwise, start a new project as you suggested.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 8:58 PM

All replies

• User187056398 posted

You can open the csproj file in notepad and look for corruption.

You can create a new project so you have a known good csproj file to compare it to.

Tuesday, November 10, 2009 9:04 PM
  • User-1959498717 posted

Just a Question . ¿Does your project has a myproject.vbproj.user? if so check the size of your  file if is 0 delete it and open the project again.

Tuesday, November 10, 2009 9:30 PM
  • User-1833980242 posted

Harrifer: My project has a myproject.csproj.cs user file that is 2kb. 

SGWellens:  How will I know where the corruption is?  Is it obvious?  What would have caused this?  Is it an indicator that my hd may crash soon?  

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 6:46 AM
  • User187056398 posted

How will I know where the corruption is?  Is it obvious?  What would have caused this?  Is it an indicator that my hd may crash soon?  

It's an XML file so it must follow XML rules.

It sounds like you are missing the root element.

I do not know what could have caused it.

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 9:27 AM
  • User-1833980242 posted

thanks for the responses.  I opened the csproj file in notepad but there was nothing in it.  I don't understand how this can be since the file size is 11kb.  I guess this explains the missing root element, since everything seems to be missing.   It doesn't explain the file size though.  Shouldn't the file size be 0 if the file is empty?  Does this make any sense?

I am not sure about what to do now.  I'm thinking about creating a new project and copying/pasting my files to it.  I think this would then give me a fresh start.  Any better ideas?

Thursday, November 12, 2009 8:42 PM
  • User187056398 posted

The file may contain all spaces which would explain the size.

Or the BOM could be messed up.

When it's open in notepad, try 'save as'...and  use utf-8 as the encoding (not likely to work but you never know).

Otherwise, start a new project as you suggested.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 8:58 PM
  • User-1833980242 posted

Thanks for your efforts with this.  I was able to copy the project file from a back up and paste it in my project.  This enabled it to run again.  

Thursday, November 12, 2009 10:22 PM
  • User-45688748 posted

Deleting the .user file is exactly what fixed the problem for me. Lightning strike near the office shut my PC down and corrupted my .user file and project wouldn't load. I opened the file in Notepad++ and the "spaces" turned out to be [NULL] characters. Deleted the .user file and the file loaded!

Thanks for the info, SGWellens!

Friday, July 27, 2012 10:29 AM
  • User-558651039 posted

Thanks SGWellens

this was helpfull for me.

I opened the csproj in noteped++ and saw a file full of nulls. So I copied the content of this file from a previous version to this file, and then the project loaded successfuly. 

Thank you!

TL.

Monday, April 8, 2013 10:16 AM