none
SmallBasic Run Problem RRS feed

• Question

• I just download SmallBasic V1.0 for my son to learn some programming.

Typed in the first program and it ran fine.

Modified it and tried "run" again and it wouldn't do it. It came up with an error:

"The process can not access the file because it is being used by another process"

It doesn't seem to matter what you do. Start the SB program again even. But after a certain amount of time (usually a minute), it suddenly works again. But then the same happens again and you have to wait another minute.

This is on a Windows 7 x64 PC with .Net 4 installed.

It's like the program is trying to do something in the exit phase and this is taking some time?

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Mark

Saturday, June 30, 2012 8:23 AM

Answers

• Weird indeed,

This isn't normal SB behavior, so I guess it is the result of some interaction of SB with something else specific to your setup.  What that other thing may be is hard to know and only some detective work may discover it.

I guess you have tried a few things, here are some I would try, basically trying to eliminate things that affect files.

1] Clean %temp% and reboot.

2] Create a new folder to create the SB test.sb and compile to test.exe - not a network drive, perhaps a folder on the desktop.

3] Try running the test.exe directly repeatedly without the SB interface.

4] Disconnect from the internet and turn off virus checker (in that order obviously).  Perhaps even try a safe mode boot.

5] Is the timing delay always 1 minute - try to find some pattern.

Sunday, July 1, 2012 10:13 AM

All replies

• Close all other programs that have either the executable or .SB file open.
    Saturday, June 30, 2012 9:22 AM
  • Mark,

It looks like the created exe after compilation isn't finishing properly or at least delayed.  Assuming your SmallBasic program is called "program.sb", an exe called "program.exe" will be created in the same folder as "program.sb" after compilation.  It is this exe that isn't closing properly.

You can kill this process manually by using the TaskManager to kill this process, called "program.exe".

This shouldn't happen regularly; if it is, then please post the SmallBasic program you are using.  Also use the "End Program" button on the partially transparent blue overlay (make the overlay full screen if the button isn't visible - should then be in bottom right corner) produced when SmallBasic is running a program to kill it properly, rather than just closing the SmallBasic interface.

Saturday, June 30, 2012 10:28 AM
  • Hi

Thanks for the suggestions.

Actually, I tried monitoring the processes and the test program (test.exe) does terminate straight away. So the issue seems to be in SB.exe.

Strangely, even if you restart SB.exe you still have to wait a minute until the program (test.exe) can be run again!

It doesn't matter how you end the program - same result.

The program in question can be the simplest: TextWindow.WriteLine("Hello World")

All very weird!

Sunday, July 1, 2012 1:07 AM
  • Weird indeed,

This isn't normal SB behavior, so I guess it is the result of some interaction of SB with something else specific to your setup.  What that other thing may be is hard to know and only some detective work may discover it.

I guess you have tried a few things, here are some I would try, basically trying to eliminate things that affect files.

1] Clean %temp% and reboot.

2] Create a new folder to create the SB test.sb and compile to test.exe - not a network drive, perhaps a folder on the desktop.

3] Try running the test.exe directly repeatedly without the SB interface.

4] Disconnect from the internet and turn off virus checker (in that order obviously).  Perhaps even try a safe mode boot.

5] Is the timing delay always 1 minute - try to find some pattern.

Sunday, July 1, 2012 10:13 AM