Advanced image editing off the web RRS feed

• Question

• User-76852706 posted

Hi all,

I'm building an app in ASP.NET that will store some pictures of objects. The pictures will be uploaded by suppliers and downloaded by subscribers. In between, they will have to be edited before becoming available to subscribers.

The editing involves creating a cropping path tightly around the object in the picture, in which some advanced desktop image software will have to be used I suppose.

My problem is in exchanging pictures between my ASP.NET app and the desktop software in a manner that is easy and transparent for the user.

I've done some thinking and I've come up with: - Manually downloading and uploading the image (Not much user friendly...) - An image editing program that can upload to a web service (Haven't found yet...) - Develop a plug-in for an image editing program (Too advanced...)

I'd appreciate any suggestions you may have, thank you!

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 10:41 AM

Answers

• User-952121411 posted

I think there are a few ways you could go about doing this, and some pends on which image editing software you end up using.  There may be some editing software that does have tie-ins to using a .NET application like WPF but we will not count on that for now.

The uploading of images is easy.  Assuming they are less than 2GB in size (never seen an image that big actually anyways Wink) you can use a standard ASP.NET upload control.  What you can do is set up a share on the network or web server where images are uploaded to and organized.  You could consider SQL Server storage options if needed as well, and they got much better with SQL08 and Filestream Storage. If however using a share, you can host a website on top of it so if needed your images could be accessed via http through your own apps.

At this point you have the images stored. I would come up with a system of storing them maybe in a 'staging' or 'work queue' area to signify they still need to be edited.  This is where the imaging software comes into play.  It could be as simple as the users of the editing software to pull up the images in the queue folder, edit them, and then re-save to a 'Finished' or 'Completed' area. 

Then finally the subscriber downloading of images.  This site will only pull images from the 'Finished/Completed' share/website/sql storage (depending on setup). This might be a decent start at a high level.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 1:43 PM
  • User-952121411 posted

I thought of having our own windows app on the editor's computers. This app will be associated with a custom extension.

...since a lot of your design is breaking beyond the means of ASP.NET and this forums support specialty, you might want to consider reporting parts of your question on the MSDN forums located below:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/categories

Good Luck!

Monday, December 20, 2010 2:28 PM

All replies

• User-952121411 posted

I think there are a few ways you could go about doing this, and some pends on which image editing software you end up using.  There may be some editing software that does have tie-ins to using a .NET application like WPF but we will not count on that for now.

The uploading of images is easy.  Assuming they are less than 2GB in size (never seen an image that big actually anyways Wink) you can use a standard ASP.NET upload control.  What you can do is set up a share on the network or web server where images are uploaded to and organized.  You could consider SQL Server storage options if needed as well, and they got much better with SQL08 and Filestream Storage. If however using a share, you can host a website on top of it so if needed your images could be accessed via http through your own apps.

At this point you have the images stored. I would come up with a system of storing them maybe in a 'staging' or 'work queue' area to signify they still need to be edited.  This is where the imaging software comes into play.  It could be as simple as the users of the editing software to pull up the images in the queue folder, edit them, and then re-save to a 'Finished' or 'Completed' area. 

Then finally the subscriber downloading of images.  This site will only pull images from the 'Finished/Completed' share/website/sql storage (depending on setup). This might be a decent start at a high level.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 1:43 PM
  • User-76852706 posted

Hi atconway, thanks you for your reply, it's been helpful!

Getting a bit more low level: Not only the image will have to be edited and approved, also the image will have some information associated that will have to get approved, as a whole. Also, there will be a few editors, so having a share with all images (will be many!) may not be user friendly.

The idea, is to streamline the whole process, a bit like SharePoint does for editing documents, in which the editor gets only the image he chose to edit. 

I thought of having our own windows app on the editor's computers. This app will be associated with a custom extension. When an editor downloads a file (with this extension) for editing, it will be opened in our application which in turn will open the image in some editor program. This app will be monitoring the files for changes, and in such case, it will upload these images.

Any thoughts on this?

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 6:40 AM
  • User-952121411 posted

I thought of having our own windows app on the editor's computers. This app will be associated with a custom extension.

...since a lot of your design is breaking beyond the means of ASP.NET and this forums support specialty, you might want to consider reporting parts of your question on the MSDN forums located below:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/categories

Good Luck!

Monday, December 20, 2010 2:28 PM
  • User-76852706 posted

Thanks for your reply atconway!

I posted a new thread here.

Regards

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 6:59 AM