none
Add group to an existing MS Office Ribbon tab C# RRS feed

• Question

• I'm looking for a way to programatically add a group to an existing tab (e.g Developer tab in my case) of the Microsoft Office Word 2010 ribbon.

Cannot find any helpful examples on the web. Are these types of customizations allowed in MS Office 2010 and if so could you please provide any helpful links or a code sample on how I can do this

Monday, October 1, 2012 12:49 PM

Answers

• Hi Denys

Do you see the built-in Add-ins tab in the Designer, or have you deleted it? If you still have it, click on it then look at the Properties window and expand ControlId.

Do you see it's set to ControlIdType Office? That's the key. When you add a new Tab to the Designer it defaults to Custom. Change this to Office, then enter the idMso value for the built-in tab you want to work with.

In the case of the Developer tab, that is probably: TabDeveloper

Now just add your group to that tab :-)

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

• Marked as answer by Denys W Tuesday, October 2, 2012 4:55 AM
    Monday, October 1, 2012 4:45 PM

All replies

• Hi Denys

It can be done if you have a VSTO document or a VSTO add-in. Assuming either of these, which one and does your project have a Ribbon Designer or Ribbon XML component already in it?

You can only modify the Ribbon if your project is running in the Office application instance. It canNOT be done from a Windows Form or Console App, for example.

Monday, October 1, 2012 12:54 PM
  • Hi Cindy

I have a RibbonDesigner, I just want to add a group to the developer tab when the add in is loaded I'm not looking for a way to do it from a Windows or a console app.

Do you have any examples on how this can be done?

Monday, October 1, 2012 1:37 PM
  • Hi Denys

Do you see the built-in Add-ins tab in the Designer, or have you deleted it? If you still have it, click on it then look at the Properties window and expand ControlId.

Do you see it's set to ControlIdType Office? That's the key. When you add a new Tab to the Designer it defaults to Custom. Change this to Office, then enter the idMso value for the built-in tab you want to work with.

In the case of the Developer tab, that is probably: TabDeveloper

Now just add your group to that tab :-)

• Marked as answer by Denys W Tuesday, October 2, 2012 4:55 AM
    Monday, October 1, 2012 4:45 PM
  • Here is an MSDN topic that might help - How to: Customize a Built-in Tab.

Norm Estabrook

Monday, October 1, 2012 9:26 PM
    Answerer
  • How can I add a group to an existing custom tab, not a built-in tab?

I have an existing custom tab called "My Custom Tab" which was created in VB. Now I created a custom task pane and the toggle button for that is in "Add-ins" tab. But I want to move it to my custom tab"My Custom Tab".

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Friday, October 12, 2012 7:34 PM
  • How can I add a group to an existing custom tab, not a built-in tab?

I have an existing custom tab called "My Custom Tab" which was created in VB. Now I created a custom task pane and the toggle button for that is in "Add-ins" tab. But I want to move it to my custom tab"My Custom Tab".

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Hey, could u do it ?
    Wednesday, February 13, 2019 10:47 PM