Test-driven Development Support with the Generate From Usage Feature RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi all -

My name is Karen Liu and I'm the lead program manager of the C# and VB IDE's.  One direction we've taken in this release is to provide great support when you're writing code to consume an API before it even exists (one example is in test-driven development where you write tests first).  Check out our new generate from usage feature -- it allows you to generate stubs for any class, constructor, method, or property you use before it exists (think about VS as laying down the train tracks for you). 

We'd love your feedback on the workflow and scope of the feature!  Do you wish we generated something else? Are there scnearios you use often that we're missing?

For more information on the CTP itself, check out http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=129231.

Thanks!
    Karen Liu
    Lead Program Manager C#/VB
    Program Manager, Visual C#
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 6:33 PM

All replies

• Hi. I must say this is an awesome and useful feature and I expect it will help a lot in moving to TDD.

While reproducing the walkthrough in my VS2010 VPC and generating a class from the unit test I chose to place the class in another class library project, but when I opened the class I noticed that the generated class is placed inside the Test class namespace, but not in the class library default namespace.

Not sure if this is a but or is by design but I would really expect to have the new class in the class library namespace to have a better grouping and organization.

Is it possible to make this change in this feature?

Thanks,

Julio
    Saturday, November 15, 2008 6:42 PM
  • Julio -
    Thanks for the feedback here!  You'll be happy to see that we've made this change for the Beta.

Karen
    Lead Program Manager - C#/VB
    Monday, January 12, 2009 7:25 AM
  • Thanks a lot!

Julio
    http://juliocasal.com
    Monday, January 12, 2009 3:46 PM