In-App Purchase: Trial version really required?

Question

• Hi,

I am creating apps with same functionality targeting Windows 8.1 tab and Windows Phone 8.1. The app would be free to download. A user can download and work with minimal functionalities and if the user is satisfied, he/she can make an in-app purchase (Durable product) which is valid for 1 year. I am confused after reading about trial version.

My question is this:

When the user starts the app, how can I determine whether to show the demo version / the full version of the app?

This check is enough for that? - "if (licenseInformation.ProductLicenses["featureName"].IsActive)"

OR should I still have this code? - "if (licenseInformation.IsTrial)"

Sorrys if the question is too basic. I am just getting started with in-app purchase.

Thanks & Regards,

Anoop.

Saturday, September 20, 2014 3:23 AM

Answers

• No. You can't buy an in-app purchase if the app is on trial.

For your case you'd default to the free behavior and then check for the feature to activate the full information. See Enable in-app product purchases

As an alternate you could use a non-expiring trial for the free version and then let the user purchase it to get the full thing. That wouldn't be per yar though. See Create a trial version of your app

See the Trial app and in-app purchase sample

Saturday, September 20, 2014 3:51 AM
    Owner
  • Yes, that is correct. The Trial feature has been part of WP since the beginning and was intended for developers to put let people try out an App before buying it. Once they bought it they would have full functionality permanently (although you can add In-App purchases to an App that had a trial beforehand - I don't know of any Apps that use that approach though).

In your case you would not offer a trial but in general a free App that has the ability to unlock additional features using a Consumable-Type In-App purchase.

Saturday, September 20, 2014 6:46 AM

All replies

• No. You can't buy an in-app purchase if the app is on trial.

For your case you'd default to the free behavior and then check for the feature to activate the full information. See Enable in-app product purchases

As an alternate you could use a non-expiring trial for the free version and then let the user purchase it to get the full thing. That wouldn't be per yar though. See Create a trial version of your app

See the Trial app and in-app purchase sample

Saturday, September 20, 2014 3:51 AM
    Owner
  • Hi Rob,

Thanks for the reply.

The free version is not having an expiry period. It is a non-expiring thing. Only the product purchase has a validity of 1 year. After 1 year when the product expires, I would provide only the free features to the user.

When the user downloads and uses the app before purchasing the product, it would be having only free features. It never expires. Once the user feels it is worth to buy the product, the user can purchase the full version for 1 year.

Hope I have explained the scenario better now.

As per your first answer above, trial version is not required. So I would not have a trial version of the app. Instead I would provide only the free features to the user by default. Once the user purchases the product, I would upgrade the user to the full version.

Please let me know whether my understanding is correct.

Thanks & Regards,

Anoop.

Saturday, September 20, 2014 5:55 AM
  • Yes, that is correct. The Trial feature has been part of WP since the beginning and was intended for developers to put let people try out an App before buying it. Once they bought it they would have full functionality permanently (although you can add In-App purchases to an App that had a trial beforehand - I don't know of any Apps that use that approach though).

In your case you would not offer a trial but in general a free App that has the ability to unlock additional features using a Consumable-Type In-App purchase.

Saturday, September 20, 2014 6:46 AM
  • Thanks Oliver, that solves my issues.

Saturday, September 20, 2014 3:06 PM