How can i get users to install out software without getting the SmartScreen window ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, my name's Avi and i'm a founder of a startup that develops a service for software developers.

Much like dropbox, we have an application needed to be installed on the user's computer.

We use the NSIS installer and our client side desktop application is written in Java.

Each time one of our users get our installer, he gets the intimidating windows smart screen window. 

How do we solve this ? 

I read awhile ago about a certificate needed to be purchased, and that certificate cost 500$-1000$ back then...

Is there a cheaper solution ?

Thanks

Avi

• Edited by AviEdri Tuesday, January 21, 2020 10:38 PM
    Tuesday, January 21, 2020 10:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting here.

According to the document:

Windows SmartScreen alerts users before running unrecognized programs downloaded from the Internet. Microsoft has extended the SmartScreen feature of Internet Explorer to Windows as well to protect users from malware. In general, SmartScreen Protection shows the above message when you try to run a newly released program or an application that has not yet established a reputation. (Even though one can easily disable the SmartScreen Protection feature in Windows 8, we don’t advise you to turn off the protection)

Reputation is established by SmartScreen® service intelligence algorithms based on how an application is used by Windows and Internet Explorer users. Reputation may be based on the downloaded application or can also be assigned to the publisher based on digital certificate information. Only Authenticode Certificates issued by a CA that is a member of the Windows Root Certificate Program can establish reputation. 

Best Regards,
    Drake

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 23, 2020 1:49 AM