none
New flight 16267 released for Insiders RRS feed

• General discussion

• We have released a new flight with the build number 16267 for Insiders. If you discover any issue, please report it using the feedback app.

New this build:

• General bug fixes
    • Due to the Intel EOL (end-of-life) of Joule, FFUs for Joule will be discontinued soon. No Joule FFU will be released for RS3 RTM. Customers should identify an alternative platform using one of the other support SoCs - https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/iot/explore/SoC
    • IOT_WEBB_EXTN feature has been refactored to remove the on boarding feature and the on boarding feature is now available as IOT_ONBOARDING_APP.  With this update, the on boarding feature will be removed and users using the on boarding feature should re-flash their device to get this feature again.  

Known issues:

• Store published apps aren't able to invoke an exe through Windows.System.ProcessLauncher unless it is signed by Microsoft
    • Visual Studio debugging for Java Script apps is not working.  Apps can be deployed and started without the debugger from Visual Studio.  Apps can also be deployed from Visual Studio and started from the Device Portal or iotstartup.exe
    • Network connectivity failures in MinnowBoard Max (MBM) firmware version 0.93. (Fixed in firmware version 0.94.)
    • F5 driver deployment from Visual Studio does not work on IoT Core.

Thanks!

Friday, August 18, 2017 10:09 PM

All replies

• Check for update failed with 10.0.16257.1000 on RPi.

I will try tomorrow.

Keep Fighting

Saturday, August 19, 2017 7:56 AM
  • I submitted quite a few feedback items through the Feedback Hub. Bugs related to Apps manager, Remote Client, IoT Core Dashboard and the Feedback button are relevant to most Windows IoT Core users. Issues around the registry and CLI usability might touch less users but are important too.

Unfortunately I see neither them as confirmed in Feedback Hub, nor as known issues or solved issues here.

I do want to help by providing feedback, but then I also want to know that it makes a difference. Can you please explain what is happening with them? I read this article, but I simply want to know that the Windows IoT Core section of Feedback Hub is not overlooked (since not so many people post feedback there yet)

screenshot

• Edited by wind-rider Saturday, August 19, 2017 9:44 AM
    Saturday, August 19, 2017 9:42 AM
  • Check for update failed with 10.0.16257.1000 on RPi.

I will try tomorrow.

Keep Fighting

Auto update worked for me last night (about 15 hours ago). I did not 'check for updates'. It happened automatically. I'm using RPi 3 and official 7" touch screen.
    Saturday, August 19, 2017 8:21 PM
  • I submitted quite a few feedback items through the Feedback Hub. Bugs related to Apps manager, Remote Client, IoT Core Dashboard and the Feedback button are relevant to most Windows IoT Core users. Issues around the registry and CLI usability might touch less users but are important too.

Unfortunately I see neither them as confirmed in Feedback Hub, nor as known issues or solved issues here.

I do want to help by providing feedback, but then I also want to know that it makes a difference. Can you please explain what is happening with them? I read this article, but I simply want to know that the Windows IoT Core section of Feedback Hub is not overlooked (since not so many people post feedback there yet)

It would be great to have this, but I think the IoT team is very small. They clearly don't have enough people to investigate every reported issue. Based on watching IoT for the last 2 years or so, it seems that they rely on app hub up votes to determine where to spend their time. The assumption seems to be that the more people up-vote an item means the more people that are affected. I think, however, that that a bad assumption, because hobby users familiar with Raspian are the largest audience. If one tries Windows IoT and runs into a problem they will come to the forums first since this is what they are used to with Raspian support. But here they will be told to use the app hub. Adding extra steps to get answers is not the easiest route, so they are just as likely to conclude that Windows IoT doesn't work and go back to Raspian.

To defend Windows 10 IoT though, there are built-in sample apps on the default IoT core app and the IoT dashboard. And there are tons of samples on GitHub.

But it's not as easy to use as Raspbian. Hard to do that though given the nature of the scope of Windows 10 IoT. To get these people in, I think Windows IoT needs a Powershell accessible application installer that works like "sudo get" to bring these people in. But since IoT doesn't have a compiler or interpreter that runs in the device, this kind of installer would need to get precompiled programs hosted in an app store. Perhaps the IoT team or someone else will design a system that will pull compiled apps from GitHub releases page. That would be awesome and help get more people into Windows IoT. Once they like it, they will be more tolerant of the need for the very large overhead (in the mind of a Raspian user) of getting VS to be able to modify and compile programs. If there already is such a process, it's not conspicuous enough.

I assume that if you are an MSDN subscriber you might be able to use one of your paid support incidents to push something critical to the team. I have an MSDN subscription through a company I work with but I haven't tried using an MSDN support incident yet.

Saturday, August 19, 2017 8:49 PM
  • My upgrade downloaded automatically; I only had to restart the Raspberry via the web interface to install it.
    Saturday, August 19, 2017 9:54 PM
  • It turns out that all mentioned issues are not fixed yet.
    Saturday, August 19, 2017 9:54 PM
  • Updated successfully this morning.

However, AllJoyn service discovery issue still exists.

Keep Fighting

Sunday, August 20, 2017 1:11 AM
  • Yes, for me there are still “Onboarding settings” for alljoyn in the device portal, too
    Sunday, August 20, 2017 8:15 AM
  • Installed automatically in my two Raspberry PI 3 but remote client screen is blank, you can see the mouse pointer moving in the remote device but the Remote screen is blank. This was working fine on previous release.
    Sunday, August 20, 2017 4:44 PM
  • Same for me - black screen when connected via remote desktop, on last build situation was similar.

BR

Piotr

Piotr

Monday, August 21, 2017 5:39 PM
  • This seems to happen independent of the IoT Core version.  Often, simply restarting the IoT Remote Client can fix it.  Sometimes you have to restart the device.  Sometimes nothing helps.
    Tuesday, August 22, 2017 5:49 PM

• Cortana on Hummingboard board is showing black Screen

Can you tell us which board and Image was used?

Wednesday, August 23, 2017 4:48 PM
  • I was wondering that as well.

I am thinking that they meant to say "DragonBoard" since I don't know of any HummingBoard devices that run Windows 10 IoT Core, and my own DragonBoard does show a black screen when Cortana is talking, sometimes.

Thursday, August 24, 2017 7:56 PM