Move Regular site to mobile RRS feed

• Question

• User1856468055 posted

Everyone,

We have a asp.net website quite big, kind of networking site. We want to convert this site so that its available to mobile users also like iphone, blackberry etc.

What steps are involved in this and how much work is involved in converting.

Do we have to start work from scratch for converting?

Thanks 

Thursday, April 8, 2010 11:23 AM

Answers

• User1135281112 posted

Hello,

I am not sure how your existing asp.net website is structured. 

1) Identify which pages needs to be displayed on mobile and what should be its structure. Once it is ready desing the pages using standard web forms with minimal content and images

2) The only thing here changes is HTML rendering your rest business logic stays as it is if you have seperate business objects and database objects created in your existing asp.net website.

3) Once you have Mobile pages ready it is important when you should be loading this to user. For this you need to detect from where the request is coming to the website. If it is mobile device than redirect user to mobile optimized pages instead of standard web browser pages.

4) There are lots of mobile devices in market with different capabilities (scree size, image support, browsers etc) so it is very importat that you know what device is accessing your website and customize your mobile web page accordingly on the fly to fit into the mobile which is accessing your website.

To help with point 3 & 4 above please use http://www.51degrees.mobi/Products/NETMobileAPI/tabid/86/Default.aspx it is a free ASP.NET mobile api which helps to integrate mobile devices with existing and future web sites. It makes use of WURFL device database which is widely-accepted as the most advanced and up-to-date mobile device database available.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 6:41 AM

All replies

• User-1636183269 posted

Sorry to say you have to start from scratch. 

Thursday, April 8, 2010 1:26 PM
  • User188494879 posted

hmmm.

what about my existing business logic, data logic and stored procs.

How will I make call to my SP's in my db 

Thursday, April 8, 2010 3:04 PM
  • User1135281112 posted

Hello,

I am not sure how your existing asp.net website is structured. 

1) Identify which pages needs to be displayed on mobile and what should be its structure. Once it is ready desing the pages using standard web forms with minimal content and images

2) The only thing here changes is HTML rendering your rest business logic stays as it is if you have seperate business objects and database objects created in your existing asp.net website.

3) Once you have Mobile pages ready it is important when you should be loading this to user. For this you need to detect from where the request is coming to the website. If it is mobile device than redirect user to mobile optimized pages instead of standard web browser pages.

4) There are lots of mobile devices in market with different capabilities (scree size, image support, browsers etc) so it is very importat that you know what device is accessing your website and customize your mobile web page accordingly on the fly to fit into the mobile which is accessing your website.

To help with point 3 & 4 above please use http://www.51degrees.mobi/Products/NETMobileAPI/tabid/86/Default.aspx it is a free ASP.NET mobile api which helps to integrate mobile devices with existing and future web sites. It makes use of WURFL device database which is widely-accepted as the most advanced and up-to-date mobile device database available.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 6:41 AM