none
Access 2013 - Unable to link or import DBF files RRS feed

• Question

• 2013 does NOT recognize DBF files, we are trying to find a solid work around to link to our DBF files. there are about 30 DBF files that get updated EVERY week. And there are about 60 employees that link to various DBF files.

Does anyone know if a driver or some sort or some sort of solution for this? Any guidance is appreciated. thank you.

Thursday, September 19, 2013 2:48 PM

All replies

• I am having this same problem.  Would really appreciate help.  Thanks
    Thursday, February 19, 2015 8:54 PM
  • we converted the DBF databases to ACCDBs back when our computers were still 2010. basically we found/tweaked code that:

1. linked all the DBFs in a folder within a single ACCDB db.

2. copied the linked DBF tables to internal tables

3. exported each internal table to it's own ACCDB db. each of these databases just have the 1 table. these are data tables used by financial analysts for reporting purposes.

So, once we got the DBF converted to accdb it was easy to change our processes here to use the new tables.

If this is what you're looking for I'll look for the code that we used.

Friday, February 20, 2015 1:25 PM
  • we converted the DBF databases to ACCDBs back when our computers were still 2010. basically we found/tweaked code that:

1. linked all the DBFs in a folder within a single ACCDB db.

2. copied the linked DBF tables to internal tables

3. exported each internal table to it's own ACCDB db. each of these databases just have the 1 table. these are data tables used by financial analysts for reporting purposes.

So, once we got the DBF converted to accdb it was easy to change our processes here to use the new tables.

If this is what you're looking for I'll look for the code that we used.

Friday, February 20, 2015 1:26 PM
  • Thanks so much for the information.

The DBF files I am using are from Shapefiles that are being used in our mapping software, ArcMap, and are coming from vendors and constantly being updated.  Therefore, the need to import to Access nightly and use the data in the dbf files for other VBA routines.  Another problem is that the mapping software can only link to .mdb files, and .mdb files only import .xls data.  Even though Excel 2013 does not support importing dbf files using VBA, I could still open and save a dbf file as a .xls file using VBA as shown below:

For i = 1 To 3

'Open First DBF file and Save
      Workbooks.Open "H:\Dbf_Files\Dbf_File" & i & ".dbf"
      ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs "H:\Dbf_Files\Dbf_File" & i & ".xls"
      ActiveWorkbook.Close

Next I

I found methods on another website to create .vbs and .bat files to run this as a nightly Scheduled Task.  After I create the .xls files, another Scheduled Task imports them to Access. I can provide more details if anyone needs them.

Tuesday, February 24, 2015 7:59 PM