Approach for Designing RRS feed

• Question

• User-419488686 posted

Hello,

My customer wants to build a huge financial system which is multi lingual and multi database, the problem is he wants us to first start the detail design for multilingual and multidatabse support etc. (we have decided to us nhibernate, etc.) but he wants to start the detail design without the overal archtecture/framework decided. Do you think this is a good approach...can we take parts of the system and start the design without knowing how it fits in the overalld system/architecture? We hv not even decided on the layers and how they are going to communicate, all that we know now is it is going to be distrubuted and we may hv to go with SOA.

What do you think I should do now? What are the challenges will we face? How do we mitigate that?

thanks

Thursday, June 3, 2010 4:27 AM

Answers

• User-1237044210 posted

Hi yesunesun,

I don't know I'm able help you or not? I only worked in 4 years, so in my current company, we usually used SRS for understanding my customer requirement, after that BA will write Basic Details and Details Design. Certantly in BD & DD will have many use cases, each use case is one function that our system must have. Up to this step we can start think about our methodology for design system. Base on use case, we can use Domain Driven Design for building Domain knowledge, centric on Domain. We can use TDD for applied on each Use case, test first is a good approach, but up to now I still didn't apply full TDD yet. In your requirement, you describe your customer want mutil language and multi- database, so you must concentrate it first. Using SOA is good for distributed system, but you should consider about multi server on one layer,if it must do, you can design on onion architecture. Best strategy at here is multi tier of Microsoft. You can read the Microsoft free  hand book for some knowledge about it http://apparchguide.codeplex.com/

That is my onion, it's maybe not valid to you. If it have any confuse to you please discuss with me!

Regards

ThangChung

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 12:22 PM

All replies

• User-2004844803 posted

Hi,

First, have you dicided if you are going for a domain driven design? I suppose so since you have dicided to use SOA and nHibernate...

first get to know your domain! Thats my experiance from working with DDD, everyone should have pretty goodunderstanding of the domain before digging in to deep. dont model the entire domain in one piece, try to pick parts off it and work on them in a vertical way.

Thursday, June 3, 2010 8:44 AM
  • User-1237044210 posted

Hi yesunesun,

I don't know I'm able help you or not? I only worked in 4 years, so in my current company, we usually used SRS for understanding my customer requirement, after that BA will write Basic Details and Details Design. Certantly in BD & DD will have many use cases, each use case is one function that our system must have. Up to this step we can start think about our methodology for design system. Base on use case, we can use Domain Driven Design for building Domain knowledge, centric on Domain. We can use TDD for applied on each Use case, test first is a good approach, but up to now I still didn't apply full TDD yet. In your requirement, you describe your customer want mutil language and multi- database, so you must concentrate it first. Using SOA is good for distributed system, but you should consider about multi server on one layer,if it must do, you can design on onion architecture. Best strategy at here is multi tier of Microsoft. You can read the Microsoft free  hand book for some knowledge about it http://apparchguide.codeplex.com/

That is my onion, it's maybe not valid to you. If it have any confuse to you please discuss with me!

Regards

ThangChung

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 12:22 PM
  • User-419488686 posted

Thanks ThangChung, I know that working on Mulitlingual and Multidatabase for now is not a issue, but if we more on requirements which are more driven by the architecture then I will run into problems.  Yes I am already reading that book and lot of other good resource.  I also read abt Onion Architecture but I think I need more resource than just few articles on that. I like to explore on DDD.  Surely I will get intouch with you if I need any help.

Thursday, June 3, 2010 3:41 PM