none
data binding - many to many relationship with datagrid , adding and removing relation RRS feed

• Question

• I have a WPF / entity framework application, my model have student , class entities there is a many to many association/relation between student and class (student can have many classes and class have many students )

student [ Id ,Name , Classes(Navigation property) ] classes [ Id ,Title, Students(Navigation property ]

in this case the entity framework don't show the join/relation table.

i have a 2 DataGirds as master details, student grid is the master and classes is details

how can i set the binding to classes gird (the details gird) so i can add and remove classes to the selected student?

what i want is to select a student from the master grid and add or remove his classes

this is my classes gird

<DataGrid x:Name="classesDataGrid"
                          AutoGenerateColumns="False"
                          EnableRowVirtualization="True"
                          Height="200"
                          ItemsSource="{Binding Source={StaticResource studentClassesViewSource}}"
                          RowDetailsVisibilityMode="VisibleWhenSelected"
                          Width="380">
                    <DataGrid.Columns>

<DataGridComboBoxColumn Header="Class Name From Combo"
                                                Width="*"

ItemsSource="{Binding Source={StaticResource classViewSource}}" 
                                                DisplayMemberPath="Name"

SelectedItemBinding="{Binding Students}" 

/>
                        <!--<DataGridTextColumn x:Name="durationColumn"
                                            Binding="{Binding Duration}"
                                            Header="Duration"
                                            Width="SizeToHeader" />-->

</DataGrid.Columns>

This scenario works fine when the relation is one to many but i couldn't make it work for many to many relations .

Friday, June 28, 2013 11:50 AM

All replies

• A ComboBox can only have one selected value but in this case you could use a DataGridTemplateColumn with an ItemsCollection to display the list of classes for the selected student. To remove a class item from a student object you can then add a button for each class that removes the corresponding item from the collection.
    Friday, June 28, 2013 12:30 PM
  • thanks for you answer ,actually my problem is how do i add/edit classes to student in Datagrid view

i can list all the classes in the combobox and the combobox display the correct class for the current student

but i can't edit or add new classes .

of course this also apply to adding students to a class

Friday, June 28, 2013 12:51 PM