Set permissions for Work Item fields RRS feed

• Question

• Currently have a VSTS inheritance deployment and I would like to restrict which fields users have the ability to edit.  I tried editing the XML definition file to include <VALIDUSER> or other methods but my deployment (VSTS Inheritance) does not allow WITADMIN edits, only view.  Are there any other methods to restrict users from editing fields?  

Thanks,

Mark

Friday, May 12, 2017 6:59 PM

Answers

• In VSTS you can't edit your work items using witadmin. Instead you will use the managed process customization. 

In that managed customization experience, you can't edit rules yet. Early summer we will give you the first set of editable rules, but it won't include the ability to do what you want. It is on our backlog to allow you to make fields editable for specific people, but that won't be available until at least in the fall.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

• Marked as answer by MarkHG34 Monday, May 15, 2017 5:14 AM
    Saturday, May 13, 2017 2:19 PM

All replies

• In VSTS you can't edit your work items using witadmin. Instead you will use the managed process customization. 

In that managed customization experience, you can't edit rules yet. Early summer we will give you the first set of editable rules, but it won't include the ability to do what you want. It is on our backlog to allow you to make fields editable for specific people, but that won't be available until at least in the fall.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

• Marked as answer by MarkHG34 Monday, May 15, 2017 5:14 AM
    Saturday, May 13, 2017 2:19 PM
  • Thank you for the quick reply.  I have marked the question as answered.
    Monday, May 15, 2017 5:15 AM