Control Channel Trigger on Windows Phone 8.x ? RRS feed

• Question

• WinRT in general has a background task that enables continuous network connectivity which is available for Windows Store Apps on Windows 8.1 and Windows RT 8.1.

Control channel triggers, as demonstrated in the linked article below, should allow for continuous network operation even when the application is in background. Specifically, it should allow for the following:

1. Detection of incoming network packets on a socket when application is in background _and_ screen lock is on

2. Ability for the application to send out periodic network packets on a socket when application is in background _and_ screen lock is on

I am not sure if [1] and [2] are true, but this is according to what I've read.

My question is:

1. Are there any plans to introduce this feature on Windows Phone 8.x so that:

* an application can receive network packets even when it is in background and the phone screen is locked?  

* an application can send out periodic "keep alive" packets when it is in background and the phone screen is locked?

https://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/ControlChannelTrigger-TCP-20c56711

Monday, March 9, 2015 4:57 PM

Answers

• Hi SWDev2014,

Not sure if you have read this: Supporting your app with background tasks probably explain all you would like to know. But sounds these are limitations.

Besides we cannot comment for further whether some features will be added, the best practice is to raise your idea at: https://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/110705-dev-platform, our product team will look into it and think of your suggestion.

--James

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Proposed as answer by Jamles Hez Wednesday, March 18, 2015 6:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jamles Hez Thursday, March 19, 2015 1:23 AM
    Tuesday, March 10, 2015 3:23 AM