Rebooting a DAG member in DAC mode RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys;

I'm about to create a two members DAG with a FSW located in Site A. Both exchange servers are 2010 with SP3. As i 'm just starting my first ever DAG and the lack of knowledge/experience brought me here to avoid any misconfigurations.

I'm planning on a two member DAG, the primary exchange and the FSW servers in site A, in site B a secondary exchange server. I will activate the DAC mode to avoid split brain situation and also will block the automatic activation of databases on the server in Site B, so i can have a full control over it, as power problems are a bit concern (it happens from time to time)

Now what confuses me, is the windows update or exchange related patch installations.

I would like to know if i can do regular windows updates in this scenario without moving the databases to the secondary server, and so for the exchange related updates.

What is the best approach in this case?

Thanks in advance.

• Edited by HarootA Monday, September 29, 2014 8:37 PM
    Monday, September 29, 2014 8:36 PM

All replies

• Well, I wouldn't set auto activation to block in this case so that whenever something happens to databases (for example putting server in Site A in maintenance for Windows or Exchange patching), all of them will be mounted on server in site B as next preference and users won't see any impact.

If power goes for both servers in Site A (Exchange and witness) then database will be in service down situation since you have DAC mode setup and you need to execute the DAC mode activation anyways to mount all the database on Site B manually taking decision....

http://eightwone.com/2010/08/30/datacenter-activation-coordination-mode/
    • Edited by Amit Tank Monday, September 29, 2014 9:16 PM
    Monday, September 29, 2014 9:12 PM
  • Thanks Amit for the input, but what i want to understand is, am i obliged to put the server in maintenance mode? Let's say i did, will the databases activated on server B automatically? What will happen when i'm done patching the server A and it comes back online, will the databases transferred back to server A automatically or it takes manual intervention?

Thanks in advance

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 3:49 PM