none
guidelines about making installer for outlook 2007/2010 addin running at 32bit/64bit systems having vista/win7/xp RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I need help for some guidelines about making installer. My outlook addin has not the code very specific to the OL2010, so it should run well on ol2007 as well as ol2010. It should run on the systems whether they are 64bit or 32 bit.

So what do you suggest, should I make single installer targeting all pcs having 32 bit/64 bit, ol2010 and ol2007. Or I should make different installers for different systems having 32 bit and 64 bit.

right now, I'm preparing installer at vs.net2008 but running on 64bit system, If I prepare installer at vs.net2010 , will it work on systems having ol2007 and also having 32bits.

Not much good in the theory of these systems architecture. so what should I do. Tom stated some idea in above section, but I wanted some clear steps/recommendation.

I'm thinking to move my solution vs.net2010, but question, whether I can make installer for 32 bit systems having ol2007 or cannot.

As in vs.net2010 - thread, I studied that if setup prepared by vs.net2010 and then if addin  installed at program files folder, the office customization installation window will never popup, is this right? well as I prepared in vs.net2008 and checked at system having ol2010 and 64 bit, this window popups.

but sometimes didn't popup - I couldn't catch the scenario, but notice that when I added vstolocal which Tom suggested to avoid double installed programs, sometimes it didn't popup, may be this is the case.

well unfortunatley to put vstolocal, well I got rid of two programs, but my one thirdparty module addinexpress is not working, they are saying that no issue with addinexpress.

well your immediate response will greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

--Mehnaz

Mehnaz Anwar
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:50 AM

Answers

• If you use a setup project you must have separate installers for x86 and x64. A Windows MSI file is for one or the other. If you use ClickOnce you can use the same installer on both 32 and 64-bit versions of Office.

Code in the addin that's compiled for Any processor will work as is on either 64 or 32-bit Outlook.

For some information on preparing installers for use with 64-bit see Misha's blog article on taking the shim wizards to 64-bit, there's good information there on setting up a 64-bit installer: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/mshneer/archive/2010/02/24/taking-com-shim-wizards-to-64-bit.aspx

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007

"Mehnaz13" <=?utf-8?B?TWVobmF6MTM=?=> wrote in message news:d3426bff-43cd-47ff-a88c-658a51d48e62...

Hi,

I need help for some guidelines about making installer. My outlook addin has not the code very specific to the OL2010, so it should run well on ol2007 as well as ol2010. It should run on the systems whether they are 64bit or 32 bit.

So what do you suggest, should I make single installer targeting all pcs having 32 bit/64 bit, ol2010 and ol2007. Or I should make different installers for different systems having 32 bit and 64 bit.

right now, I'm preparing installer at vs.net2008 but running on 64bit system, If I prepare installer at vs.net2010 , will it work on systems having ol2007 and also having 32bits.

Not much good in the theory of these systems architecture. so what should I do. Tom stated some idea in above section, but I wanted some clear steps/recommendation.

I'm thinking to move my solution vs.net2010, but question, whether I can make installer for 32 bit systems having ol2007 or cannot.

As in vs.net2010 - thread, I studied that if setup prepared by vs.net2010 and then if addin  installed at program files folder, the office customization installation window will never popup, is this right? well as I prepared in vs.net2008 and checked at system having ol2010 and 64 bit, this window popups.

but sometimes didn't popup - I couldn't catch the scenario, but notice that when I added vstolocal which Tom suggested to avoid double installed programs, sometimes it didn't popup, may be this is the case.

well unfortunatley to put vstolocal, well I got rid of two programs, but my one thirdparty module addinexpress is not working, they are saying that no issue with addinexpress.

well your immediate response will greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

--Mehnaz

Mehnaz Anwar

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:59 PM