none
Missing data-id attribute in OneNote COM API XML RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I would like to develop a server side application that utilizes OneNote REST API. Also, I would like to build a simple UI for it inside OneNote desktop application.

But here comes problems due to discrepancy between REST API page HTML and COM XML schema. Specifically, attribute "data-id" which is custom data supplied to any element, is missing from COM XML Schema for a specific page stored in OneDrive.

Is there a way how to set a data-id value from OneNote COM AddIn that my server-side process could obtain through REST API?

Are there plans for a convergency of these distinct markup languages serving one purpose? :-)

Best regards,
    Jiri

Sunday, December 4, 2016 9:18 AM

All replies

• Hi Jiri,

>> But here comes problems due to discrepancy between REST API page HTML and COM XML schema

After checking the OneNote XML, I did not find any "data-id". It seems it is specific to Input and Outlput HTML for OneNote pages. I am not sure whether it is related with that I did not set it by OneNote Rest. I suggest you try to add “data-id” by OneNote Rest, and then check the xml document by OneNote Spy to see if you could find the value for “data-id”. If not, I am afraid we could not set data-id shared between Com AND rest api. If you could find, I think you could try to retrieve the xml to set the value.

For more information about OneNote Spy, I suggest you refer the link below:

# OneNote Spy (omspy) for OneNote 2010

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/johnguin/2011/07/28/onenote-spy-omspy-for-onenote-2010/

Best Regards,

Edward

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 5, 2016 7:20 AM
  • Hi Edward,

thank you for support. I already tried to add "data-id" through REST API and checked the same page with OneNote Spy after it got synced and indeed, there is no data-id and so signs of my attribute value in the OneNote XML.

It seems there is put not much effort into OneNote COM plugins infrastructure by OneNote development team in favor of new OneNote Online Javascript addons. Do you have any information whether it will be a preferred way of developing addons? When we could expect it to appear  in OneNote for Desktop?

Monday, December 5, 2016 8:00 AM
  • Hi jirkamat,

Thanks for detailed information.

For this feature, I would suggest you submit a feedback in the link below:

https://onenote.uservoice.com/

Hope it will come soon.

Best Regards,

Edward

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 5, 2016 8:08 AM