SQLExpress to MSSQL RRS feed

• Question

• User1393905103 posted

I have a page which was created by someone else and uses a CustomMembershipProvider.  I can see an aspnetdb.mdf file in the App_Data folder and it seems that this tool is connecting to the DB using SQLExpress.

I would rather not install SQLExpress on this box since it is running SQL Server 2014.

I don't see any references to SQLExpress in the web.config file but if I stop SQL express on the original machine (which has instances of both MSSQLSERVER and SQLEXPRESS) I get the same error.

Any ideas on how I might find what is calling this or is there  a way to direct the tool to use MSSQL to access the file?

Thanks,

Mike

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 3:36 AM

Answers

• User-821857111 posted

Should I attach this DB to SQL2014 and change the datasource or would that even work?
    It should work. It's certainly worth a try. However, I would be tempted to simply attach the file to SQL 2014 and then add a suitable connection string to the web.config file so that it accompanies the application, rather than being set at IIS level.

https://www.connectionstrings.com/store-connection-string-in-webconfig/

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, October 4, 2016 1:13 PM

All replies

• User-821857111 posted

There will be a connection string somewhere. I would expect to find it in the web.confg file, but it could be hardcoded anywhere in your application. Do a search for SQLEXPRESS.

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 6:42 AM
  • User1393905103 posted

I appreciate the help.

I'll look through the files again but can't really even see anything that would be accessing this mdf file.

Thanks,

Mike

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 12:39 PM
  • User1393905103 posted

Nothing in the web.config file but in connection strings in IIS I see this:

LocalSqlServer   datasource=.\SQLEXPRESS;Integrated Security=SSPI;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|aspnetdb.mdf;User Instance=true    Inherited

Should I attach this DB to SQL2014 and change the datasource or would that even work?

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 12:46 PM
  • User-821857111 posted

It should work. It's certainly worth a try. However, I would be tempted to simply attach the file to SQL 2014 and then add a suitable connection string to the web.config file so that it accompanies the application, rather than being set at IIS level.

https://www.connectionstrings.com/store-connection-string-in-webconfig/

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, October 4, 2016 1:13 PM