My Win 8.1 app crashes on Windows 10

Question

• Hi,

There are a couple of places where my app crashes in Windows 10 but it works great in 8.1

I know it's only a technical preview etc. but should I be worried?

Russ

Thursday, October 23, 2014 7:04 PM

All replies

• Have you debugged to see where it is crashing?

It could be problems in the app that are exposed through new usage patterns or it could be a problem in the OS. If you narrow it down to the latter you can report it with the feedback tool.

--Rob

Thursday, October 23, 2014 7:12 PM
    Owner
  • No, not yet - Microsoft specifically stated in the blog post anouncing the Technical Preview that compatibility testing had not been done yet so issues like this are to be expected. You perhaps might want to report such crashes using the error reporting tool built into Windows 10 Technical Preview however. The system logs A LOT of activity right now so I guess it will be helpful to create test cases for when they actually do the compatibility testing.

If the issues persist once Windows 10 is closer to release it might be worth it to try and debug them but right now it's not something to be concerned about.

Thursday, October 23, 2014 7:15 PM
  • Don't be worried. Windows 10 will not be in consumer hands for about 12 months, and in the meantime Microsoft will update developers with all kinds of information, document changes, etc., as well as fix a lot of bugs that are currently in the OS.

I would expect that Windows 10 will be 100% backwards compatible with Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 apps once it is released.

I'm a self-taught noob amateur. Please take this into account when responding to my posts or when taking advice from me.

Friday, October 24, 2014 1:26 AM