Recovering with a Password request? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello,

I have been using my \\build Win8 tablet (WDP) since the conference regularly.  I was able to join my corporate domain and use legacy tools in desktop mode.  Awesome!  Of course the IT is having a love fest with me asking to add more and  more "services"  it was all fine.  I was able to get VPN, VOIP, and other nice tools to work with some little effort.  Yet, just two weeks ago I was asked to install an Antivirus software.  I knew it was a bad idea :(  but it was an insistent request and I imagine if something really happen I could recover using the UEFI tools.  Suffice to say, after the antivirus was installed, I no longer can logging.   Often system just hang, when I am in luck, I can enter the password, follow by an error message "RPC failed".

To the biggest issue:  I was hoping to get to the recovery tools and refresh my installation.  However, to my surprise when I ask for any refresh, reset, fix, DOS prompt, etc.  It goes into EFI screen and ask for a password!?  To the original user account I created, which to my recollection I never assigned a password.  I tried everything and any password I could figure including just "enter".  I just cannot get pass the password prompt.

Any suggestion how to get pass the password prompt?  At this time I don't care to keep the data in the system, I plain clean reset with a clean install will be wonderful.  Please help.

Regards,

Desperate

Thursday, January 26, 2012 7:23 PM

All replies

• Hello Marziano,

If Reset your pc or Refresh your pc methods aren’t working you can make a bootable USB and reinstall Windows Developer preview by booting from USB.  The information on how to do this is located here .

Thursday, January 26, 2012 8:33 PM
  • Hi David,

Thank you for your reply.  I am afraid the instructions in the thread you pointed out above ( here )creates a NTFS USB drive.  This appear to be required to have for the Win8 developer preview, that is > 4 GB, to fit in the drive.  However, the Samsung SDK from \\build cannot boot from a NTFS USB drive only from FAT32.  This is interesting enough given that the USB flash drive provided during build is also >4GB and NTFS so is not possible to boot from it and recover the system.

So as it is now, I am left with no option to re-intsall.   Any other ideas?

I should clarify that FAT32 does not support files bigger than 4GB.  There are files in the build install bigger than 4GB.
    • Edited by marziano Friday, January 27, 2012 12:51 AM clarification
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 10:22 PM
  • Hi David,

Thank you for your reply.  I am afraid the instructions in the thread you pointed out above ( here )creates a NTFS USB drive.  This appear to be required to have for the Win8 developer preview, that is > 4 GB, to fit in the drive.  However, the Samsung SDK from \\build cannot boot from a NTFS USB drive only from FAT32.  This is interesting enough given that the USB flash drive provided during build is also >4GB and NTFS so is not possible to boot from it and recover the system.

So as it is now, I am left with no option to re-intsall.   Any other ideas?

I should clarify that FAT32 does not support files bigger than 4GB.  There are files in the build install bigger than 4GB.

hi marziano, try to create a WinPE bootable device at this link or a Windows To Go device, read the last post of this link
    Friday, January 27, 2012 9:40 AM