none
ODBC Errors with Access 2007 That Do Not Occur With Access 2010 or Access 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a client running Access 2007 with SQL Server 2012 as a back-end. They have a database created in Access 2010 that uses SQL Server as a back-end. When the database was copied to a PC with Access 2007, they get "3146ODBC" errors. These errors do not occur on Access 2010 and Access 2013.

The client is using 64-bit Windows 7 and the ODBC drivers from the SysWOW64 directory. The client won't upgrade to Access 2010 or 2013 due to licensing costs.

What is the issue with a database that works on 2010 and 2013 but not on 2007? Is there a fix or workaround?

The client is considering using Access Runtime 2010 to use the database. Would this work?

Saturday, September 26, 2015 9:30 PM

Answers

• I recommend to install the actual SQL Server Native Client on all machines and use it instead of ODBC drivers.
    Sunday, September 27, 2015 5:54 PM
  • You don't state that you relinked to the back end using link table manager.  Perhaps that is presumed - but I thought it would help to check that.

Typically one does not have to relink, presuming the same path on the same LAN - because the path is held in the front end.  But in this case you might as the 07 might need to establish its own ODBC drivers.  I definitely would try it if you did not already....and then if it doesn't work via link table manager, delete those tables and relink from scratch.

In general I am never real comfortable when the front is older than the back - as there may be new things in 2012 that 2007 doesn't know about.... although that's just a vague concern and nothing specific.

Monday, September 28, 2015 12:12 PM

All replies

• I recommend to install the actual SQL Server Native Client on all machines and use it instead of ODBC drivers.
    Sunday, September 27, 2015 5:54 PM
  • You don't state that you relinked to the back end using link table manager.  Perhaps that is presumed - but I thought it would help to check that.

Typically one does not have to relink, presuming the same path on the same LAN - because the path is held in the front end.  But in this case you might as the 07 might need to establish its own ODBC drivers.  I definitely would try it if you did not already....and then if it doesn't work via link table manager, delete those tables and relink from scratch.

In general I am never real comfortable when the front is older than the back - as there may be new things in 2012 that 2007 doesn't know about.... although that's just a vague concern and nothing specific.

Monday, September 28, 2015 12:12 PM