Assigning workitem to a group instead of individual RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

We are using TFS 2010. We have a requirement where a work item needs to be assigned to a TFS User group in adition to assigning to individual person. When I do so, if anyone who is from the Group executes the "My Work Items" team query, they should see the work items assigned to the group they belong to. Is it possible? Please provide me details on how to do this. Also, can this be done with TFS User Group (Group created by TFS project administrator within the project) OR should we create a group Domain controller? Please advice.

Appreciate your help.

Rasheed

• Edited by arasheed Monday, October 24, 2011 3:54 PM Edit
    Monday, October 24, 2011 3:46 PM

Answers

• Hi Rasheed,

Also, can this be done with TFS User Group (Group created by TFS project administrator within the project) OR should we create a group Domain controller?

You can use the TFS user groups set up by your TFS project administrator with in the project. You will need to make a change to the requested by field in the process template. Consider downloading the process template editor (http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/c255a1e4-04ba-4f68-8f4e-cd473d6b971f) and opening the product back log type work item and making a change to the assigned to drop down to expandgroups = false. This way users as well as group names are displayed.

We have a requirement where a work item needs to be assigned to a TFS User group in adition to assigning to individual person.

It is possible but instead I would recommend not using the same field for both. Instead, you can create a new filed in the process template such as 'Assigned Group'. This can only contain group names. 

When I do so, if anyone who is from the Group executes the "My Work Items" team query, they should see the work items assigned to the group they belong to. Is it possible?

The My Work query the user runs should be querying the work assigned to the group name rather than the user. As per my knowledge if you assign the task to a group and have the user query my work by their name rather than the group name, the task will not be returned in the query result. As long as all the users query uses the group name they will have the task show up in the result. You can have an or clause in the query, all tasks assigned to the user or group should show up in the my work field. Will this work for u?

HTH
    Cheers, Tarun 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Tarun Arora

Blog: http://geekswithblogs.net/TarunArora  Subscribe in a reader

• Edited by Tarun__AroraMVP Monday, October 24, 2011 10:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by arasheed Tuesday, October 25, 2011 3:18 PM
    Monday, October 24, 2011 10:41 PM

All replies

• Hi Rasheed,

Also, can this be done with TFS User Group (Group created by TFS project administrator within the project) OR should we create a group Domain controller?

You can use the TFS user groups set up by your TFS project administrator with in the project. You will need to make a change to the requested by field in the process template. Consider downloading the process template editor (http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/c255a1e4-04ba-4f68-8f4e-cd473d6b971f) and opening the product back log type work item and making a change to the assigned to drop down to expandgroups = false. This way users as well as group names are displayed.

We have a requirement where a work item needs to be assigned to a TFS User group in adition to assigning to individual person.

It is possible but instead I would recommend not using the same field for both. Instead, you can create a new filed in the process template such as 'Assigned Group'. This can only contain group names. 

When I do so, if anyone who is from the Group executes the "My Work Items" team query, they should see the work items assigned to the group they belong to. Is it possible?

The My Work query the user runs should be querying the work assigned to the group name rather than the user. As per my knowledge if you assign the task to a group and have the user query my work by their name rather than the group name, the task will not be returned in the query result. As long as all the users query uses the group name they will have the task show up in the result. You can have an or clause in the query, all tasks assigned to the user or group should show up in the my work field. Will this work for u?

HTH
    Cheers, Tarun 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Tarun Arora

Blog: http://geekswithblogs.net/TarunArora  Subscribe in a reader

• Edited by Tarun__AroraMVP Monday, October 24, 2011 10:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by arasheed Tuesday, October 25, 2011 3:18 PM
    Monday, October 24, 2011 10:41 PM
  • Thank you very much!!
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 3:18 PM
  • Hi,

We have a similar problem, we want to assign a work item to a group in some cases, but when I suggested your option to add another field "assigned group" I was declined. What should I do in order to see in the Assigned to field our TFS groups?

Thank you in advance

Michal

• Edited by Billy_mk Monday, December 12, 2011 12:46 PM
    Monday, December 12, 2011 12:44 PM
  • Hi Bill,

I guess there is no other option. Either you should add the groups to "Assigned to" or implement the solutions as suggested by Tarun.

Thanks,

Chandra

Chanduvsc - Microsoft GTSC is hiring for TFS, if you are interested please forward your profile to viswanadhasekhar@live.com
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 10:30 PM