none
Entity Data Model not showing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi MSDN and followers:

In my case ( I have not seen the same exact issue in the search results ) I am trying to follow the very 1st example in Microsoft Press book from 2013 'Step by Step' Microsoft ADO.NET Entity Framework(page 14). I am running VS 2013 Update 4 with .NET 4.5.51209. I have create a Winforms project and installed Entity Framework 6.1.3 using Manage Nuget Packages by right clicking on the Winforms Project inside Solution Explorer. When I go to add a new data source, I get the wizard and I select Database in the Choose a Data Source Type dialog box. The next window, Choose a Database Model, has only one option - Dataset. The books tells you to select the second option, Empty Model. Why is this second option missing? Any help would be appreciated

Jose Forcade

• Edited by JoseAtCcca Friday, June 12, 2015 4:53 PM
    Friday, June 12, 2015 3:14 PM

Answers

All replies

• I don't have that book, but the typical way to add an EF model it from Project/Add New Item/ADO.NET Entity Data Model.

David

David http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dbrowne/

Friday, June 12, 2015 3:54 PM
  • Thanks David,

So I've gathered.  On the other hand, why publish something if it doesn't work?  So far as I know there isn't a newer edition.  According to this book you have 3 paths - database first, design first and code first.  I'm rather new to EF and I would like a trustworthy source, as in from Microsoft who put out this product, that details creating the DB from the EF model and vice versa without getting it piecemeal from other sources.  The cover the author has is that the examples may not work in another version of VS besides the one he used - VS2012.  What happened to backwards compatibility? We're only talking VS 2012 to VS 2013 here.  Perhaps there's an easy fix for this out there.  Just a matter of getting the right person to address this question.

Jose Forcade

Friday, June 12, 2015 4:19 PM
  • This is a pretty good place to get started

Entity Framework (EF) Documentation

David

David http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dbrowne/

Friday, June 12, 2015 6:04 PM