How to Device Log from an Android Emulator? RRS feed

• Question

• User257470 posted

In my Visual Studio 2015 installation, I've been using the "Android Device Logging" while developing with an Android Emulator. It was great, I could even write to it with Android.Util.Log.WriteLine. Then I realized I could update Xamarin using in VS options and now Xamarin is updated the latest. Since then, Android Device Logging is gone, and appears to be replaced by just "Device Log". But now, I cannot see any logs from my emulator. I read https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/android/deployment,testing,andmetrics/androiddebug_log/ and it does say for the new Device Log that 'you can select the (physical) device' and of course an emulator is not a physical device.

Did they just completely remove Android Device Logging? I can still see my logging as text in the Output, but Android Device Logging was great because I could filter it and see color coding. What options do I have?

Thanks

Thursday, September 15, 2016 11:28 PM

All replies

• User71305 posted

Hi @Agenduum ,

You've actually found a bug on our new "Device Log" feature. The public version does work with Android physical Devices and fully replaces (and improves) what was done before with the "Android Device Logging" option, but there was an extra unnecessary check keeping Android Emulators filtered out of the devices dropdown selector, which doesn't make any sense.

I've filed a bug report about this issue, and it was already fixed on our development branches.

As a clarification, this new "Device Log" is not available for older VS versions (for instance VS 2012 and VS 2013 are still including the old "Android Device Logging" which doesn't have this issue), and this new approach includes Device Log not only for Android devices, but for iOS devices as well, something not supported before.

I'll let you know when we'll have a public release including this patch.

Thanks for reporting!

Friday, September 23, 2016 4:57 PM
  • User30447 posted

@JoseGallardo Any further progress on this? Some timeline for getting the fix released?

Thursday, October 13, 2016 10:25 AM
  • User71305 posted

The fix will be included in our next release (Cycle 8 SR1), which I think should be public in one or two weeks.

Thursday, October 13, 2016 12:38 PM
  • User149466 posted

@JoseGallardo I updated to the newest stable version of Xamarin today (which means version 4.2.1.64) and my Android device log was replaced with the new device log in VS2015. It still doesn't seem to register any emulated device, and I can't seem to find anything about it in the Cycle 8 SR1 release notes. Any ETA on this?

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 2:16 PM
  • User257470 posted

At least for me, I can say this is now resolved. The emulator is selectable in the device log list.

Wednesday, December 7, 2016 10:37 PM
  • User21683 posted

@JoseGallardo A couple of weeks ago I installed VS2015 and the latest version of Xamarin on a new PC. I created an Android emulator and a simple "hello world" app to test Xamarin - this emulator appears in the Device Log dropdown. I've since created a few more emulators (and can deploy/run the app on them fine) but none of these appear in the dropdown - only that first one I created.

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 8:41 AM