locked
PerfView resolves all but my own EXE's symbols - any pointers appreciated RRS feed

  • Question

  • I am trying to record event with stacks in PerfView for production debugging.

    It all worked quite well until I went ahead and added my own EventSource, and to do that, switched the Application to .net 4.6.2.

    Since then, roughly, symbol resolution fails. That is, it works well except for my own exe. In the Stacks view, all the sweet spots boast a "?!?" instead of a code location.

    I investigated a bit:

    1) Oddly, the EXE's PDB is not copied to the zip, but I don't know, this might be normal. The closest to an error I could find in perfview.log is:

    There were 4 address that did not resolve to a module or method in process chrome (9744)
    There were 63 address that did not resolve to a module or method in process chrome (10228)
    There were 8 address that did not resolve to a module or method in process chrome (1532)
    There were 1 address that did not resolve to a module or method in process wpa (6744)
    There were 3074 address that did not resolve to a module or method in process NIDA (5640)
    There were 2 address that did not resolve to a module or method in process Cam (12780)

    Indeed, I don't have any sign of a resolved symbol in NIDA.exe.

    2) The whole log has no mention of NIDA.pdb. Apparently it is not being seached for at all. The correct file sits right next to the .exe, where VS puts it as it always has.

    The  whole thing work(ed) much better just a week ago when I was on .net 4.0. Does anyone have an idea what mifht be wrong?


    • Edited by Simon Thum Thursday, March 9, 2017 8:55 AM
    Wednesday, March 8, 2017 5:56 PM

Answers

  • OK, I found it, it's a case of RTFM: In my desire to collect only my own events, I disabled the .NET collector which apparently is needed for symbol reolution to work. Checked it, works great again!
    • Marked as answer by Simon Thum Thursday, March 9, 2017 10:37 AM
    Thursday, March 9, 2017 10:37 AM

All replies

  • OK, I found it, it's a case of RTFM: In my desire to collect only my own events, I disabled the .NET collector which apparently is needed for symbol reolution to work. Checked it, works great again!
    • Marked as answer by Simon Thum Thursday, March 9, 2017 10:37 AM
    Thursday, March 9, 2017 10:37 AM
  • Hi Simon Thum,

    Glad to hear you have worked it out. And thanks for sharing your solution here. It could be better for someone who has the same issue.

    Have a nice day!

    Kristin


    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

    Friday, March 10, 2017 1:27 AM