Forms Based Authentication RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to setup Forms Based Authentication (FBA) for our MOSS 2007 site. Based on the various blog postings/etc. around the web, I have it setup. There is one minor problem I was hoping somebody could help with.

We are hoping to disable the "remember me" functionality in the form - we don't want people to accidentally stay logged in to the site.

The problem we are having is this - if we don't check "remember me" on the login form, when I try to "Edit in Microsoft Office Word" on a document, it opens up Office (2003) and instead of opening the document, it opens up the login.aspx page as HTML.

If I try it with Office 2007, it just doesn't open up the document, and no error is displayed.

If I check the "remember me" button when logging in, then I can "Edit in Word" without a problem in either version of Office.

Even more interestingly - if I access the site through Firefox instead of IE, I can "Edit in Word" regardless of whether "remember me" is checked or not.

thanks,
    Matt

Tuesday, January 23, 2007 12:22 AM

Answers

• Hi Matt,

The login page/error that appears in Office is caused by a setting called 'Enable Smart Client Integration' when you configure the authentication provider in the central administration. If you leave this checkbox blank, the document opens normally, but most of the Office integration is gone.

To get rid of the 'remember me' checkbox, it is quite simple to alter the login page directly on the file system. You can just delete the control from the page, make it disabled.

- Mart

Tuesday, January 23, 2007 8:21 AM