none
Windows Server Remote Administration RRS feed

• Question

• Does "Open Specifications" include the protocols used by "Remote Server Administration Tools"  to communicate with the Windows Server 2008?

If Yes, can some one point me to the protocol documents?

If Not, Will they ever be included in Open Specification?

Saturday, March 26, 2011 6:18 AM

Answers

•  i Rajesh
    The tools that you listed use API’s. This forum does not deal with API’s. We do not maintain a mapping of tools to API’s and API’s to protocols. This forum handles requests related to Open Specifications documentation issues. The Open Specifications can be found at: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd208104.aspx.

You may want to post the question about specific tools to a forum that deals with that tool and there is a better chance of getting an answer there.
    If you are writing a tool to manage a windows component remotely and using a protocol to do so, please feel free to post your protocol related question here. In your question, it would assist us if you identify the specific protocol you are attempting to use.

Regards, Obaid Farooqi
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 7:43 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Hi Rajesh:

The information about protocols used in "Remote server Administration Tools" is documented in several documents as follows:

[MS-WSPELD]   WS-Transfer and WS-Enumeration Protocol Extension for Lightweight Directory Access Protocol
    [MS-WSDS]: WS-Enumeration: Directory Services Protocol Extensions
    [MS-ADDM]: Active Directory Web Services: Data Model and Common Elements
    [MS-WSTIM]: WS-Transfer: Identity Management Operations for Directory Access Extension

If you are interested in web based server administration, the protocol is documented in

[MS-WSMV]: Web Services Management Protocol Extensions for Windows Vista

Regards, Obaid Farooqi
    Sunday, March 27, 2011 6:47 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Rajesh:

Forgot to mention in my previous reply that if you have any specific question about these documents, please feel free to contact us at dochelp@microsoft.com or post in open specifications forums.

Regards, Obaid Farooqi
    Sunday, March 27, 2011 6:49 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Obaid Farooqi,

Thank you for the reply.

According to my latest knowledge the following tools are available as a part of "Remote Server Administration Tools".

1. BitLocker Password Recovery Viewer
    2. Failover Clustering tools
    3. Group Policy Management Tools
    4. Network Load Balancing Tools
    5. SMTP Server Tools
    6. Storage Explorer Tools
    7. Storate Management for SANs Tools
    8. Windows System Resource Manager tools
    9. Certificate Authority Tools
    10. Online Responder Tools
    11. Active Directory Module for Windows PowerShell
    12. Active Directory Administrative Center
    13. AD DS Snap-ins and command-line tools
    14. Server for NIS Tools
    15. AD LDS Snap-ins and Command-line tools
    16. DHCP Server Tools
    17. DNS Server Tools
    18. Distributed File System Tools
    19. File Server Resource Manager Tools
    20. Share and Storeate Management Tools
    21. Hyper-V Tools
    22. Remote Desktop Services Tools
    23. Server Manager

I don't think any of the above tools use any of the protocols you have mentioned in the previous reply.

For example the DNS Server Tool uses [MS-DNSP]: Domain Name Service (DNS) Server Management Protocol to some extent. Now in this way I would like to know what protocols do the rest of the tools follow to communicate with the server.

I hope I am clear in my question now.

Thank you

Rajesh

Thursday, March 31, 2011 4:43 AM
  •  i Rajesh
    The tools that you listed use API’s. This forum does not deal with API’s. We do not maintain a mapping of tools to API’s and API’s to protocols. This forum handles requests related to Open Specifications documentation issues. The Open Specifications can be found at: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd208104.aspx.

You may want to post the question about specific tools to a forum that deals with that tool and there is a better chance of getting an answer there.
    If you are writing a tool to manage a windows component remotely and using a protocol to do so, please feel free to post your protocol related question here. In your question, it would assist us if you identify the specific protocol you are attempting to use.

Regards, Obaid Farooqi
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 7:43 PM
    Owner