Rich text box exorcism needed!!! RRS feed

• Question

• After a suggestion from the forum members to use a Rich Text box as a solution to my project, I run into something that makes me scared to use it because it seems to have supernatural powers.

I place the following code into two buttons:

Private Sub btnSave_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnSave.Click
            tb1.Text = rtbSource.Text
        End Sub
        Private Sub btnRestore_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnRestore.Click
            rtbSource.Clear()
            rtbSource.Text = tb1.Text 
        End Sub

I enter the following text into the Rich Text Box:

The Rich Text Box
    has two paragraphs

with two lines in
    each Paragraph!!!

When I press the save button, the text moved into the normal text box looks like this:

The Rich Text boxhas two paragraphswith two lines ineach paragraph!!!

This is surprising but reasonable but what really seems like magic is when I press  the btn restore which clears the rich text and then restores it to it's original form, reinserting the carriage returns at the proper places.

I would really appreciate one of you forum members helping me exorcise the magic out of this situation since I can't even imagine what mysterious forces allows the rich text box to remember it's original formatting after it is cleared.  There is obviously something I don't understand other than we are approaching haloween and I will really appreciate any comments on this.

Jerry

• Edited by Jercook Thursday, September 29, 2011 4:58 PM
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 4:45 PM

Answers

• The RTB uses LF for new lines whereas the Textbox needs CR+LF. The textbox just ignores LF but it's still there as you can see after moving text back to RTB.
    Armin
    • Proposed as answer by John Anthony Oliver Thursday, September 29, 2011 5:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jercook Thursday, September 29, 2011 5:59 PM
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 5:14 PM
  • Hi Jercook,

Just to add to the reply from Armin above.

When assigning text from a RichTextBox to a TextBox you can add

.Replace(vbLf, vbCrLf)

Like this:>>

Option Strict On
    Option Explicit On
    Option Infer Off

Public Class Form1

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

RichTextBox1.Text = "The Rich Text box" & vbCrLf & "has two paragraphs" & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & "two lines in" & vbCrLf & "each paragraph!!!"

End Sub

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

TextBox1.Text = RichTextBox1.Text.Replace(vbLf, vbCrLf)

End Sub

End Class

Regards,

profile for John Anthony Oliver at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

Click this link to see the NEW way of how to insert a picture into a forum post.

Installing VB6 on Windows 7

App Hub for Windows Phone & XBOX 360 developers.

• Marked as answer by Jercook Thursday, September 29, 2011 5:58 PM
    • Edited by John Anthony Oliver Thursday, September 29, 2011 6:10 PM
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 5:42 PM
  • Yep, voted as helpful. In addition: this is not necessary in the other direction, i.e. if you assign a String containing CR+LF to RTB.Text, the RTB automatically replaces CR+LF with LF only.
    Armin
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 5:49 PM

All replies

• The RTB uses LF for new lines whereas the Textbox needs CR+LF. The textbox just ignores LF but it's still there as you can see after moving text back to RTB.
    Armin
    • Proposed as answer by John Anthony Oliver Thursday, September 29, 2011 5:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jercook Thursday, September 29, 2011 5:59 PM
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 5:14 PM
  • Hi Jercook,

Just to add to the reply from Armin above.

When assigning text from a RichTextBox to a TextBox you can add

.Replace(vbLf, vbCrLf)

Like this:>>

Option Strict On
    Option Explicit On
    Option Infer Off

Public Class Form1

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

RichTextBox1.Text = "The Rich Text box" & vbCrLf & "has two paragraphs" & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & "two lines in" & vbCrLf & "each paragraph!!!"

End Sub

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

TextBox1.Text = RichTextBox1.Text.Replace(vbLf, vbCrLf)

End Sub

End Class

Regards,

profile for John Anthony Oliver at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

Click this link to see the NEW way of how to insert a picture into a forum post.

Installing VB6 on Windows 7

App Hub for Windows Phone & XBOX 360 developers.

• Edited by John Anthony Oliver Thursday, September 29, 2011 6:10 PM
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 5:42 PM
  • Yep, voted as helpful. In addition: this is not necessary in the other direction, i.e. if you assign a String containing CR+LF to RTB.Text, the RTB automatically replaces CR+LF with LF only.
    Armin
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 5:49 PM
  • Thanks for the answer.  This one was really puzzling.  Amazing how such puzzling situations ca have such a reasonable explanation when  when you finally understand what is going on.

Thanks so much to all of you.

Jerry

Thursday, September 29, 2011 6:01 PM