Is a WSP a webapp by definition? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have noticed there is some controversy over which Visual Studio's project system web developers should use - Web Site Project or Web Application Project. Now I'm finding the concepts a bit confusing.

I'm creating an ASP.NET/C# web site using the Website project model in VS. The site is in many parts data-driven, uses WebParts and takes advantage of many of the nifty things Ajax Control Toolkit has to offer. The idea is to make everything as dynamic as possible and avoid hard-coding any static content.

I have a theoretical question: is my project a Web 2.0 web application by definition, although it wasn't created using the WAP?

Thanks for any insight you might have!

Tiia
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 5:46 PM

All replies

• Hi Velouria,

Now choosing the right things at right time is something difficult.... but i would say selection of Project type depends on some of the key scenarios, refer this article for more information on the choices and why...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa730880(VS.80).aspx#wapp_topic5

Regards,
    Vishal Mohan
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mark the replies as answer, if it helps!!!
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 2:31 PM
  • Hi Velouria
    For a project to qualify as Web 2.0 project, it needs to adhere to several things apart from being ajax enabled.
    Some of these are
    1) Support for blogs, wikis, RSS
    2) End User participation through product comments, ratings
    3) Advanced Search, tagging, etc..
    4) Support for multiple devices
    5) Rich user exp.

The following detail article may help you gain more insights.
    http://oreilly.com/web2/archive/what-is-web-20.html

Regards
    Suds
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 7:35 AM
  • Hi,

Web 2.0 is primiraly associated with features like interactive information sharing, user design, Collabaration and interoperability. The type of applications can be hosted services, web applications , social networking sites and portal with MOSS features. The site shld be interactive unlike normal web apps.

Regards
    azhar

Mark as answer if this helps

Thanks and Regards Azhar Amir
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 8:53 AM