none
Where did SYSGEN_TIMESVC_DST go in WEC2013? RRS feed

• Question

• I have an OS design I'm rolling forward from CE6 to WEC2013 and  I'm struggling to understand exactly the differences in the SNTP components.

My CE6 design selected SYSGEN_TIMESVC_DST (SNTP Client with DST) but WEC2013 has no such option although it appears that SYSGEN_DSTSVC (Daylight Saving Time (DST) Adjustment Service) and SYSGEN_SNTPSVC (Simple Network Time Protocol (SNTP) Client) could be my answer.

Is this the right move, SYSGEN_TIMESVC_DST becomes SYSGEN_DSTSVC + and SYSGEN_SNTPSVC?

Am I correct in assuming these are client components and will not serve DST adjustments or time queries back to the corporate network?

Thanks in advance for the assist!

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 1:07 AM

All replies

• Hi Desert Hacker,

I would say that is a good guess. Looking at the Docs at https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms884917.aspx seems to indicate that this sysgen was a convenience as follows "When this variable is set, SNTP Server Catalog item is included in the OS design. The time server registry settings will be included in the run-time image. The run-time image will support periodic checking of the time server."

If you have both projects still available you might look at the dependency tree of both to see what they include directly.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

• Proposed as answer by Keshava GN Wednesday, November 18, 2015 4:39 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Desert Hacker Wednesday, November 18, 2015 5:04 AM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2015 7:23 PM
  • Thanks for the reply!

I checked the dependency list, they are different:

CE6:

SYSGEN_NKCOMPR
    SYSGEN_SERVICES
    SYSGEN_DEVICE
    SYSGEN_LOCUSA
    SYSGEN_FMTMSG
    SYSGEN_FULL_CRT
    SYSGEN_NKMAPFILE
    SYSGEN_MSGQUEUE
    SYSGEN_NDIS
    SYSGEN_SERDEV
    SYSGEN_STDIO
    SYSGEN_STDIOA
    SYSGEN_CORESTRA
    SYSGEN_STRSAFE
    SYSGEN_TCPIP
    SYSGEN_UIPROXY
    SYSGEN_CEDDK
    SYSGEN_WINSOCK

WEC2013 (both had the same dependencies)

SYSGEN_SERVICES
    SYSGEN_CNG_CORE
    SYSGEN_NETWORKING
    SYSGEN_MINNOTIFY
    SYSGEN_UIPROXY
    SYSGEN_FSDBASE

Common between both...

SYSGEN_SERVICES
    SYSGEN_UIPROXY

Not sure what that tells me :)  I did a search for  SYSGEN_TIMESVC_DST and didn't see any docs which indicated it was depricated, shortcoming in documentation maybe?  Poor googling on my part?

If they're the same then I won't worry about digging any further.

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 6:10 AM
  • Hi Desert Hacker,

As you can see from above, CE 6 had a crazy nest of dependencies. I have actually seen this represented as an incomprehensible graph and subsequent versions are still a tangle but far less so. If your image contains the Sysgens that the CE 6 version identifies, I think you should be all good. Testing will let you know for sure, however.

In Compact 2013 a list was published regarding the streamlining of the catalog.

In all versions there are a variety of porting guides and migration documents that also deal with bsp & catalog changes. Those two are great keywords to add to your search. 

PS: While not for the faint of heart, you could use brute force and your favorite directory / file comparison program to compare the public catalog directories and *.pbcxml files under the WinCEX00 roots.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 5:31 PM