none
[W8.1]Cannot install updated SideLoading application signed with a renewed certificate

Question

• We had deployed a SideLoading app on Windows 8.1 tablet and now want to upgrade the application.

Due to the certificate we used to sign the application's original installation package (appx) is expired. We have renewed the certificate and used the renewed certificate to sign the update application's appx. When we try to install the update application, it reports error that there is a different package with the same name is already installed. After checked out the details, we found the publisher id in the two installation packages are different. 

How can we make the update installation package to have same publisher ID as the original one? The subject information (which is the publisher name in Package.appxmanifest) in both certificates are same. on the device.

• Edited by Krunal Parekh Friday, December 11, 2015 6:16 AM subject
    • Moved by Krunal Parekh Wednesday, December 16, 2015 2:51 AM moved to correct forum.
    Thursday, December 10, 2015 3:58 AM

Answers

• Thanks Krunal Parekh.

Finally we found the issue is still in the certificate. In its subject field, there is a dash character "-". In the expired certificate, it is in ASCII code 0X2D. But it became an Unicode (E2 80 93) character in the new certificate.

After we corrected the mistake in the certificate, the update package signed with new certificate can be used to update the application.

• Marked as answer by XingFa Thursday, December 17, 2015 4:37 AM
    Thursday, December 17, 2015 4:37 AM

All replies

• Hello XingFa,

I tried searching for the documentation regarding this and found this article.

Please see: Try it out: sideload Windows Store apps

But unfortunately I did not find solid content regarding this issue.

1. How about trying to Uninstall the Previous app and then Try again installing again? See if that could work?

With Regards,

Krunal Parekh

Thanks MSDN Community Support Please remember to Mark as Answer the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Friday, December 11, 2015 6:41 AM
  • As Mr Krunal said, I would recommend uninstalling the first build of the App, then install the updated one.

Also, I just guess you may have Associate your App to the Store so the publisher ID differed, or for some reason, the developer information might have experienced a change.

So, whatever was the reason for the changed publisher ID, I would just advise you to keep with the updated one, and uninstall the old one.

Shadi Ayman Egyptian IGCSE student MS-DOS & VB programmer

Friday, December 11, 2015 5:39 PM
  • Hi Krunal Parekh,

Thank you for the reply.

We knew that the new signed application can be installed if we uninstall the previous app first. But, our end users have their own data (setup information and transaction history) on the application's localstate folder. To uninstall and reinstall the application will loss all the application data and user has to reconfigure the application again. We have hundreds end users using the application and it is difficult to ask user to setup the application as a totally new one.

Can you please advise how the VS code sign function generate the publisher ID? What are the requirements for the certificate to keep the same publisher ID for signed app? Thanks.

Best Regards,

XingFa

Monday, December 14, 2015 3:11 AM
  • Hello XingFa,

Since this case is related with publishing the store app I will help you move this thread to correct forum.

With Regards,

Krunal Parekh

Thanks MSDN Community Support Please remember to Mark as Answer the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 2:53 AM
  • Thanks Krunal Parekh.

Finally we found the issue is still in the certificate. In its subject field, there is a dash character "-". In the expired certificate, it is in ASCII code 0X2D. But it became an Unicode (E2 80 93) character in the new certificate.

After we corrected the mistake in the certificate, the update package signed with new certificate can be used to update the application.

• Marked as answer by XingFa Thursday, December 17, 2015 4:37 AM
    Thursday, December 17, 2015 4:37 AM