none
Disable strongname key RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have developed an application that are built on several modules (dll).
    Now I have an other vendors module and want to use it in my application.
    What shall I do to disable the strongname check on the other vendors dll? I don't want to remove all keys from my own modules.

btw, I am using VS2005 with .NET 2.0

Thanks in advance, Patrik
    • Edited by patti_nyl Wednesday, June 4, 2008 12:48 PM Added some info
    Wednesday, June 4, 2008 12:46 PM

Answers

• patti_nyl,

According to your question on disabling the check of a string name key on the module, I would like to provide you the comments as follows:

The strong name protects clients from unknowingly loading an assembly that has been tampered with. Assemblies without strong names should not be deployed outside of very limited scenarios. If you share or distribute assemblies that are not correctly signed, the assembly can be tampered with, the common language runtime might not load the assembly, or the user might have to disable verification on his or her computer. Please read the article Assemblies should have valid strong names

It is better to use the sn.exe tool to sign the assembly with a strong name in order to avoid the deployment issues in the future.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by Bruno Yu Tuesday, June 10, 2008 6:35 AM
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 6:34 AM

All replies

• You'd have to disassemble the assembly with ildasm.exe.  That is almost certainly strictly forbidden by the license agreement you have with your vendor.
    Hans Passant.
    Wednesday, June 4, 2008 2:59 PM
  • Hi,

What I forgot to say it that my other vendors module has no strong name key.
    So how do I disable the check of a strong name key on that module?

best regards, Patrik
    Thursday, June 5, 2008 5:31 AM
  • patti_nyl,

According to your question on disabling the check of a string name key on the module, I would like to provide you the comments as follows:

The strong name protects clients from unknowingly loading an assembly that has been tampered with. Assemblies without strong names should not be deployed outside of very limited scenarios. If you share or distribute assemblies that are not correctly signed, the assembly can be tampered with, the common language runtime might not load the assembly, or the user might have to disable verification on his or her computer. Please read the article Assemblies should have valid strong names

It is better to use the sn.exe tool to sign the assembly with a strong name in order to avoid the deployment issues in the future.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by Bruno Yu Tuesday, June 10, 2008 6:35 AM
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 6:34 AM
  • Thanks, Thats what I diceded to do aswell. I found a tutorial on how to assign a strong name key to the other vendors module (dll). The only problem is then when the module is upgraded without contacting my company the module will be without a strongname key again.

Best regards, Patrik
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 6:55 AM