none
FoxPro to Access Migration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

Has anyone worked on migrating a Foxpro database (Version 6) to Access?

What sort of security can be applied to a Foxpro database that would stop the migration process?

If the Foxpro application was secured in some way, could this extend to table level and prevent reading/extraction of data?

From what I have read, I understand that the Foxpro architecture is likely to be in the form of a dbf file for each table.

If I take a straight file level (Windows Explorer type) copy of the application will that affect the existing install in any way?  I would like to try and open the copied tables in Access and try to work out how it operates.

Thanks

Phil

Thursday, April 19, 2018 1:24 PM

Answers

• I'm not aware of any utility to migrate but you should be able to import using the Access import facility and Visual FoxPro ODBC driver. The below link will have more info:

You cannot connect directly to FoxPro databases in Access 2007 and in Access 2003

FoxPro databases can be in either a .dbf (dBase free table) or .dbc (container) format. I think the .dbc can have a password but a .dbf does not. The only other issue I can think of is whether any of the information was encrypted.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

• Marked as answer by TheHC Thursday, April 19, 2018 2:46 PM
    Thursday, April 19, 2018 1:47 PM

All replies