Problem with decimal separators in PowerPivot RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

I experiencing some problems with calculated fields and their decimal separators. When I try multiply a column with data type 'Decimal number' with 0.7 it multplies the amounts with 7 instead of 0.7 (e.g. 18,30*0.7 as ahs result 128,10 if I use 18,30*0,7 a syntax error is raised). When I change the decimal separator to , like 0,7 the error below is raised.

Additional information:

The regional settings are for Number: 123.456.890,12 and MS Excel 2010 is using the system operators.

Product version Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Modeler.FieldList.dll: 10.50.1600.1

============================
    Error Message:

The syntax for ',' is incorrect.
    The calculated column 'Injection[CalculatedColumn1]' contains a syntax error. Provide a valid formula.

Call Stack:

at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Modeler.Storage.DataModelingSandbox.ExecuteCaptureLogAndProcessResults(OperationType type, Boolean cancellable, Boolean raw)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Modeler.Storage.DataModelingSandbox.ExecuteAMOCode(OperationType type, OperationCancellability cancellable, AMOCode code)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Modeler.Storage.DataModelingTable.Update(UpdateOptions updateOptions)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Modeler.Storage.DataModelingView.Update(UpdateOptions updateOptions)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Modeler.Storage.DataModelingView.ChangeFormulas(IList`1 colIndices, IList`1 names, IList`1 expressions)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Modeler.ClientWindow.ChangeFormula(TableWidgetPanel currentTable, IList`1 colIndices, IList`1 names, IList`1 expressions, Boolean doFormulaBarCommit)

Greetz,

Eddy

Eddy N.
    Monday, November 29, 2010 10:29 AM

All replies

• Eddy,

Is this still an issue?

Thank you!

Ed Price, Power BI & SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Monday, November 25, 2013 6:27 AM
  • I am experiencing the same problem using Microsoft SQL Server 2012 SP1 PowerPivot for Microsoft Excel 2010.

Is there a way to make PowerPivot recognise . as decimal operator?

• Edited by dfourt Saturday, January 17, 2015 8:28 PM
    Saturday, January 17, 2015 6:19 PM
  • Hi Eddy,

This does sound like a bug. As a workaround, are you able to use a whole number and divide it by 10 to give you the same effect e.g. 18,30* (7/10)?

Regards,

Michael Amadi

Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to vote it as helpful :)

Sunday, January 18, 2015 10:41 PM