Create discussion list item from another (non-discussion) list item ? RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking at creating a custom list to track bugs.

I would like to have a comments/description field that either embeds or links to a discussion.

is there a way to automate the creation of a discussion item from the bug list item or is the process

1) create bug list item

2) create discussion item

3) paste URL of discussion list item in 2) to the comments field/column in 1)

All opinions/thoughts/advice appreciated

another way of phrasing this question is ( is it possible to have a embed a list within a list in SharePoint )

regards,

Counie

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 2:34 PM

Answers

• the issue tracking list seems to be a good fit for purpose ( don't know why I didn't try it earlier on! )

the new item form for this template contains a comments area which maintains a history of comments ( similar to a discussion thread )

thanks SharePoint!!

admins/mods : please close this question / mark as answered.

regards,

Counie

Friday, September 17, 2010 11:41 AM

All replies

• instead of complicating things with workflows involving 2 seperate lists a more effective solution is to create a bug list item from a discussion board.

i.e. instead of having a seperate list for bugs and a discussion list linked to this list for bug description/history.

I created a new discussion board and added all the relevant fields "priority" , "status" , "assigned to" etc. to the discussion list settings

my next step is to create a content type "Bug" so that instead of the user having to click "+add new discussion" to add a new bug I am going to try to change this to +add new Bug 

I was able to rename discussions to bug in the "content types" area of the list settings - this means that I get "new item -> bug" from the item ribbon.

regards,

Counie

Thursday, September 16, 2010 2:29 PM
  • the above solution is not as good as I was hoping for. why ? because each time someone replies to a discussion the assigned to , project , priority values are all reset. is there a way of maintaining the data values of a discussion item across different replies . e.g. I don't want the project or priority values to be changed or reset. <this is why my original proposal of having a seperate discussion list would be advantageous> it appears that each reply to a discussion is a seperate list item .. i assumed that replies would inherit the data/properties of the first post in the discussion
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 3:37 PM
  • the issue tracking list seems to be a good fit for purpose ( don't know why I didn't try it earlier on! )

the new item form for this template contains a comments area which maintains a history of comments ( similar to a discussion thread )

thanks SharePoint!!

admins/mods : please close this question / mark as answered.

regards,

Counie

Friday, September 17, 2010 11:41 AM